1st Hunting Rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penismightier

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I've been using a hunting rifle of my grandfathers (as well as a friend's shotgun) for the last few years during rifle season. This new year I've been given the approval by the boss to purchase a hunting rifle. I want to buy something that will last years and years and capable of taking anything big or small.

So here are my ideas:

Caliber:

7mm Rem Mag
300 Win Mag (I'm thinking this)

Brand:
???? Not really partial to any one brand

Scope:
I want at least 12x top magnification (for when I want to stretch it out at the range for fun)
I'm looking at Bushnells and Leupolds. But don't know which models are best. I've been checking out the Elite 4200 and 6500s, and the mark 4 LR/T.

So, give me some advice on what you think is the choice and why.

Total budget = ~$1200 for rifle and scope

TacticalJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
7mag is the answer, in my opinion. I've got one in Savage that I've done some work to and it shoots under 1/2moa at 100yds. Taken deer out to 450yds and drops em in their tracks. Your budget is about what I've got in it.
ai51.tinypic.com_izx255.jpg

Boyd's varminter stock inletted and bedded with a magnum kit, factory barreled action with trigger adjustment, bolt lift kit, bolt knob installed, and polished in key areas to make bolt op easier, EGW 20moa base, Vortex Viper 6.5-20X44 mildot scope. Plus other items. Shot handloads that measured .4" outside to outside with dial caliper. 162gr AMAX and 150gr Noslers.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
30-06 most definitely. The other two have their place, but as your one and only hunting gun, not so much. You can load the 30-06 for lots of different situations and factory ammo is abundant in quantity and variety.

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My go-to "big" gun is a 7mm Rem, but I'd prefer a .300. Recoil isn't bad, but its better with bigger bullets should you ever need them.

My preference is Winchester rifles, but there's no real reason for that other than they're what I'm used to shooting.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Without knowing a whole lot more about your situation, I'd have to second the .30-06 option. Ammo is everywhere and will be as long as there is ANY ammo available. I swear by Leupold scopes. Winchester is hard to beat, but there are a lot of excellent options out there nowadays.

kpk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd say 300 win mag hands down. Ammo is everywhere...including Atwoods...
30 cal, etc. Oh and get a Remington 700 sps stainless. Great guns for $600.

Latest posts

Top Bottom