1st Hunting Rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.280 or the .243 any thing else is over kill.

aknowyourmeme.com_i_681_original_what_you_did_there_i_see_it.thumbnail.jpg

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dude the best 1 rifle caliber for North America would be a 280 Remington! 300WM WHY? are we talking about shooting deer or a mastadon, a 7WM still a bit overkill with the amount of powder your burning to what end results you will have, 30-06 well truth it's old and boring! yeah guys I said it old and boring BUT it is a good round but if I could only have one rifle it would be hands down a 280 Remington. High BC bullets if you feel the urge to stretch the range and the 7mm has a better BC than ANY other calibers the 6.5 is dang close! you have a stupid range of bullet weights, brass well go to the range and pick up all the 30-06 and 270 brass you can gather it'll work fine or just get 280 Rem brass if you want. The velocity is right on the heals of a 7WM without the thumping or powder usage and it doesn't have that goofy belt. It has enough speed to get things done without too much speed to bloodshot half the deer from the shockwave you get with most magnums.

Rifle choice well lets see Chevy, Ford, or Dodge :-) for the money, out of box accuracy, a safety that works (I had too :mosh:) you would be hard pressed to beat a Savage rifle, Howa makes a good rifle also, Remington well yeah anyway and Winchester while they had thier day I think the extra cash you would put out for a name could be spent on your scope.

Really hard to go wrong with the Bushnell as long as you get the 3200 or 4200 I know nothing about the 6500. Don't forget to get you a dang good base and rings not that trash that you pick up at wal-mart get some good stuff like Warne, EGW, Seekin's they might cost you $100 for the base and rings but ya know you just dumped $600 on a rifle and $400 on a scope now you want to connect them with a $25 see thru base you found in the bargan bin?

It all boils down to this, just cause it cost $1000 doesn't make it the best or better than a rifle that cost $600! Just cause it says Savage and not Remington who cares? HOW does it shoot? if you start out with good quality stuff you'll only have to spend the money once! I did say GOOD QUALITY not saying the most expensive cause when the smoke clears that $1500 rifle is not going to make you shoot any better than a $600 rifle.

Sorry to dump on you guys just needed to get it off my chest! feel free to flame :hey3: Later,

Kirk

kpk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd do a 7mm Rem Mag over a 280...only on the availability of ammo...if your going 280 you might as well make it an ackley...other than having to custom build a rifle.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They are all good and any one on your list will be fine. The bullet selection in the 7mm is some of the best there is for long range shooting though because of the Berger VLD bullets. That one thing makes me like the 7 mag more.

Latest posts

Top Bottom