1st Hunting Rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SgtMojo67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would say 30-06 or .270.....Ammo is everywhere.....and reasonable. By the way, there is a reason they have around a long time....they work. I wouldn't go bigger unless you are hunting elk, moose, alaskan brown bear....etc...you get the picture.

kpk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
:werd:

I must not go to the same stores you do.

Really? Our Wal-Mart had probably 5 boxes of three different brands/loads in the middle of deer season. Atwoods also had about 20 boxes of Remington ammo. They were all below $25 per box also...

If that's the case do a 7mm or 280 for the bergers as mentioned above. They have the best BC or any bullets out there (w/n reason)...

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ooopsie could have been that Mt. Dew had me too caffinated! well at least I can say I made a mistake this year now ROTFLMAO!

Dude you are going to get so many different opinions on what is THE BEST round out there you might as well draw straws to pick one.

What you need to do is do some research on the calibers you are thinking about and get your own ideas cause asking on a website is going to get you nothing but confused unless your trolling for a couple of folks to agree with you to push you off the fence. Later,

Kirk

penismightier

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ooopsie could have been that Mt. Dew had me too caffinated! well at least I can say I made a mistake this year now ROTFLMAO!

Dude you are going to get so many different opinions on what is THE BEST round out there you might as well draw straws to pick one.

What you need to do is do some research on the calibers you are thinking about and get your own ideas cause asking on a website is going to get you nothing but confused unless your trolling for a couple of folks to agree with you to push you off the fence. Later,

Kirk

I've been doing some research, but wanted to get more input from people who have used these systems hands on.

I do plan on using this gun to hunt elk, moose, other large game. Which is why I have narrowed it down to these 3.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just think of this like a boat, if you fish 90% of the time are you going to buy a power boat? any of the 7mm will work very well on Elk, Moose a mess of Moose have fell to the 6.5x55.

Good luck with you choice and we'll need to see pictures! When you get to work and are goofin' off working hard check out the little 280 Remington you might be surprised, I went 284 Win but I have a custom chamber job on a long action reciever so I could add some CC to the case :-) it'll keep up with a 7mm mag now. Later,

Kirk

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First one to say .308 - ammo is cheaper than just about anything else listed so far and you can shoot mil-surp even cheaper (and its found at most places where .30-06 is found).

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
30-06 is always a great choice of caliber. Like other people have said, you will find ammo just about everywhere. Not so for some of the other calibers mentioned.

But a truly great first rifle for Oklahoma hunting is a Marlin 30/30. Great brush gun and overall caliber.

penismightier

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
30-06 is always a great choice of caliber. Like other people have said, you will find ammo just about everywhere. Not so for some of the other calibers mentioned.

But a truly great first rifle for Oklahoma hunting is a Marlin 30/30. Great brush gun and overall caliber.

I've been shooting a Marlin 336, I'm not a fan of Level action rifles.

As far as rifle manufacturers, are there any that should just plain be avoided?

I've been looking at Rem, Savage, Win, Ruger, Sako, Weatherby, etc.

Latest posts

Top Bottom