2010 controlled hunts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willystruck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I drew in to the Wichita Mtn hunt in the mid 80's. Hunted my a$$ off, Could have taken several bulls but had a cow tag. Last morning of the hunt I bagged a mature cow with a 20 yd shot.
That was before they changed the rules to make it a once in a lifetime draw. I may get lucky again some day!!!

Frank

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was drawed for a cow elk tag and on 9/23/07 I had a slipped l5 disk from a injury just a couple of months away from the hunt here in oklahoma and I never made it for the controlled elk hunt ,sure missed out on a hunt of a lifetime.

You should have crawled there. They do take care of folks that have a disability or an injury that prevents a normal hunt. One guy had a cast on his leg and a bull tag. Basically they dropped off all the hunters, came back for him and took him out in the truck. He came back in an hour for his helpers to get a bull out.
they really emphasized that this is a hunt to control the elk herd and they need everybody that drew a tag to show up.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You should have crawled there. They do take care of folks that have a disability or an injury that prevents a normal hunt. One guy had a cast on his leg and a bull tag. Basically they dropped off all the hunters, came back for him and took him out in the truck. He came back in an hour for his helpers to get a bull out.
they really emphasized that this is a hunt to control the elk herd and they need everybody that drew a tag to show up.

Hmm, might be worth getting a cast for the weekend.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There were 10 no-shows on my buddies hunt. 10 hunters that will never get another chance in their lifetime.
What really made me mad is that there were a group of guys there in a $300,000.00 RV that asked if they had to bring out the meat if they shot one. At that time they said no. Its a hunt to control the herd and other animals out there can eat the meat. I was furious as well as others in the crowd.
The hunter went in, killed a bull and only brought out the cape and antlers.
We all went ballistic when they said we couldn't go in to recover the meat and donate it. Next year the reg said that the meat has to be recovered, so I guess they listened to us.

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There were 10 no-shows on my buddies hunt. 10 hunters that will never get another chance in their lifetime.
What really made me mad is that there were a group of guys there in a $300,000.00 RV that asked if they had to bring out the meat if they shot one. At that time they said no. Its a hunt to control the herd and other animals out there can eat the meat. I was furious as well as others in the crowd.
We all went ballistic when they said we couldn't go in to recover the meat and donate it. Next year the reg said that the meat has to be recovered, so I guess they listened to us.

I would've raised hell too, that's some of the best wild game meat there is, glad those guys had their priorities

brian89

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

was your buddy Kenny Glass??? My dad drew a cow tag and was there also.. He helped pack kennys bull out.. it was a nice one..

Latest posts

Top Bottom