2010 controlled hunts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeerCreek

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Way to go on the muley Deercreek.. I have seriously thought about bowhunting there.. You think it would be worth my time given the terrain you hunted??? Thanks..

Its close to the Texas panhandle so it's quite a drive from Tulsa. If you live close enough to spend a little time out there it might be worth your time. It's definitely a change of pace. There a some awsome deer there! It's a bunch of small canyons with mesquite and cedar. Some areas are thick and some more open like the area in my pic. The larger trees are limited mostly to the bottoms so hunting with a tree stand would be challenging. They plant plenty of food plots. I have more pics of the area if your intested.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
do you hanve to hunt with a guide if you draw in the whichta mountains? Or do they give you a spot and you have to hunt that area?
There is no guide.

When you apply and get drawn, you are randomly assigned an area. There are several.
If you get drawn, (I've been putting in since 1970)
and you go into an area, and complain about not seeing a bull/cow that you have been drawn for, after the first day, they MIGHT move you to another area. Again, they may not. Its a totally rugged hunt. Elk may be taken in areas where they have to be quartered out in the field for any chance to be taken out at all. I went as a helper with a friend that got drawn and one guy shot one up in a canyon so far that he quartered it and we had to let some of the quarters down a rope to lower elevations so we could get them. Others, not that bad. You just never know.

brian89

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Its close to the Texas panhandle so it's quite a drive from Tulsa. If you live close enough to spend a little time out there it might be worth your time. It's definitely a change of pace. There a some awsome deer there! It's a bunch of small canyons with mesquite and cedar. Some areas are thick and some more open like the area in my pic. The larger trees are limited mostly to the bottoms so hunting with a tree stand would be challenging. They plant plenty of food plots. I have more pics of the area if your intested.

Thanks for replying, yea i am very interested.. I usually try and go bowhunting on a WMA the week before gun season every year. I like the challenge of WMAs. Trying to figure out where im going next year, and Sandy Sanders is one on my list, along with Cooper, Ft Supply, Black Kettle.. PM me the pic if you like

ryan7878

Marksman
Reaction score
Anyone have any good intel on Pushmataha WMA? I put my neice in for the youth hunt. I tried not to read your posts about the elk hunts. Brought back bad memories. I put in for an elk tag the first time in 2006 and was drawn!! I live in California but I am an Oklahoma resident. (Military) I flew home for this Elk hunt and contracted Strep throat the day before. I didn't let that stop me however. The morning of the first day I had a 103 fever and couldn't hardly see straight but I hunted anyways. About an hour into it I just collapsed. I woke up a little while later. Still had fever and felt like crap. I went home that night and didn't return for the 2nd day. I have always regretted it. Once in a lifetime and I got drawn on first time. I am pretty strong and I have fished and hunted through injury and illness but that one was a bad one....

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone have any good intel on Pushmataha WMA? I put my neice in for the youth hunt. I tried not to read your posts about the elk hunts. Brought back bad memories. I put in for an elk tag the first time in 2006 and was drawn!! I live in California but I am an Oklahoma resident. (Military) I flew home for this Elk hunt and contracted Strep throat the day before. I didn't let that stop me however. The morning of the first day I had a 103 fever and couldn't hardly see straight but I hunted anyways. About an hour into it I just collapsed. I woke up a little while later. Still had fever and felt like crap. I went home that night and didn't return for the 2nd day. I have always regretted it. Once in a lifetime and I got drawn on first time. I am pretty strong and I have fished and hunted through injury and illness but that one was a bad one....

I am sorry to hear this about your Elk hunt. I appreciate your dedication to trying to participate. It really disappoints me when somebody applies for hunts and then says I will go if its convenient.

As far as Pushmataha, I believe I read an article on the extensive control burn program that is managed on that area. I believe the hunting would be very good, because of the underbrush being controlled. I don't think you would be disappointed. 2009 controlled hunt results You can view the results of last years youth hunts at the link provided.

Latest posts

Top Bottom