2010 controlled hunts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I drew a cow tag about 8 years ago. It was the year before they went to once in a lifetime, so I got lucky in that respect. I can start applying again in 2012.

I'm not positive, but it seems like thier elk herd is skewed and by that I mean more bulls than cows in the herd. Maybe the bulls were just out roaming in singles and pairs and the cows hanging out in groups. Either way finding a cow was almost impossible. I saw several shootable bulls before I ever saw my cow. That was on the second morning.

Of all the guys in my group only one hunter, a bull hunter who filled his tag, had seen ANY cows the whole first day. Apparently I was the only one smart enough to ask him where he went! I went there and shot my cow at sun up the next morning.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I heard the cows like to stay in the cover, they don't have the head gear that keep the bulls in the open.

I'm sure that headgear might be a little incovnient, but trust me when I say that does not stop bulls from finding the thickest, nasiest, darkest timber and hanging out there.

Although, you may be correct in stating cows on the refuge, for whatever reason, don't come out in the open as often.

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All the cows i saw were with calves are on full alert. I could have taken 4 diff bulls, but only cow i jad a shot at was 360 yards out. It was late in the day and the first day so i held off. I wish now i had took the shot

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sure that headgear might be a little incovnient, but trust me when I say that does not stop bulls from finding the thickest, nasiest, darkest timber and hanging out there.

Although, you may be correct in stating cows on the refuge, for whatever reason, don't come out in the open as often.

Yes, this was about the refuge, they don't get a lot of hunting pressure.

DeerCreek

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never been lucky enough to be selected for an elk hunt but I have drawn the Sandy Sanders buck hunt twice. I shot my first mule deer there in 2004. It is alot different than hunting around the Tulsa area.

ai252.photobucket.com_albums_hh29_dwbell_IM000483.jpg

ai252.photobucket.com_albums_hh29_dwbell_IM000488.jpg

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never been lucky enough to be selected for an elk hunt but I have drawn the Sandy Sanders buck hunt twice. I shot my first mule deer there in 2004. It is alot different than hunting around the Tulsa area.
So you're the one who got my tag!

I apply for Sandy Sanders every year, but haven't drawn yet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom