2013-14 Deer Season Success

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree. Wish there was some way to get a handle on it. Only 1 antlered tag per 5 years for non residents? Or non residents antlered tags are draw only.

I contribute more money in license fees in a year than a resident does in probably 10 years, and from what I see on here, I bet I kill less than most of you too.

I bought a fiscal year annual, a fall turkey tag, archery and muzzleloader licenses, and a duck stamp, and I killed three does. Yeah, I am really hurting the locals….

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I contribute more money in license fees in a year than a resident does in probably 10 years, and from what I see on here, I bet I kill less than most of you too.

I bought a fiscal year annual, a fall turkey tag, archery and muzzleloader licenses, and a duck stamp, and I killed three does. Yeah, I am really hurting the locals….
It is not about the individuals, it is about the numbers (people). Its not about about the numbers (deer) as much as it is about the acres.

It doesn't matter if a single deer is shot or not, if the land isn't available for the number of hunters. The amount of land is a finite resource. You see more and more out of state hunters on the public land every year. I do feel, that in my lifetime, Oklahoma will see over 50% of there public land users from out of state, unless regulations change.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I killed 1 deer last year, and only 1 this year. I am a lifetime license holder (purchased by own money) since I was 13/14 years old. I submitted the paperwork and funds when I was 13 and it was issued on my 14th birthday. I am a yearly donor to the ODWC, and contribute to wildlife habitat enhancement programs. I am not trying to say that you specifically are a detriment to wildlife in Oklahoma. As there isn't 1 hunter that could possibly have detrimental effects on the wildlife population in Oklahoma, if they followed the hunting laws.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The public hunting on Kaw lake is probably 60-70% Kansas hunters. Their gun season opens when ours closes. Ours coincides with the rut, Kansas does not. Our non-resident license fees are cheap.
Kansas has the Walk in Hunting areas. I sure wish Oklahoma would do this.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I don't think you are getting the point as described by others. I think there are two questions here.

Why are you coming to Oklahoma to hunt deer? I don't mean this rude, snide, or out of arrogance. I wouldn't mind knowing the answer. You may not be hunting public here, but something is bringing you to Oklahoma to hunt here. I understand that family may be here and such.

Where do you hunt for free in Texas? Not on public land as it is all a draw system down there. So now you are left with knowing somebody with land or owning your own to hunt on.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think you are getting the point as described by others. I think there are two questions here.

Why are you coming to Oklahoma to hunt deer? I don't mean this rude, snide, or out of arrogance. I wouldn't mind knowing the answer. You may not be hunting public here, but something is bringing you to Oklahoma to hunt here. I understand that family may be here and such.

Where do you hunt for free in Texas? Not on public land as it is all a draw system down there. So now you are left with knowing somebody with land or owning your own to hunt on.

I am going to answer your questions even though I believe you really do mean it to be rude, snide, and out of arrogance.

My Dad is from Enid and owns land and a house in Alfalfa county, and I don't just come up to deer hunt though. I make between 10 and 12 trips a year up there.

I hunt on some family land here in Texas, but I oversee a 400 acre place next door for an absentee land owner for hunting rights. I have been hunting the same place for almost 20 years.

There are THOUSANDS of acres of "national forest" land in my area that only requires a land access permit. There are some really nice bucks killed on public land every year too.

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am going to answer your questions even though I believe you really do mean it to be rude, snide, and out of arrogance.

My Dad is from Enid and owns land and a house in Alfalfa county, and I don't just come up to deer hunt though. I make between 10 and 12 trips a year up there.

I hunt on some family land here in Texas, but I oversee a 400 acre place next door for an absentee land owner for hunting rights. I have been hunting the same place for almost 20 years.

There are THOUSANDS of acres of "national forest" land in my area that only requires a land access permit. There are some really nice bucks killed on public land every year too.

I'll jump in on this real quick too. I sincerely don't think it was meant to be rude or snide. I know for a fact there are guys from the Dallas and Denton area that hunt everywhere in an 8 hour radius and pay top dollar for it. I know a guy in the Abilene area that posted his land in the Dallas newspaper for deer lease at $5 an acre thinking it was high price. He had 15 calls in the first day. So he gets an extra $3500 each year and they come out for 1 week a year. No one else can hunt deer there. It is like that everywhere.

I think what the other guys were saying is Texas is going to own Oklahoma hunting due to all the landowners going to leases and Texas guys buying them up. No one is necessarily to blame, it is just how it is. You hunting on family land is different.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ya I gotta agree with the Texas thing here...
Fortunately I found out that a lot of them also go to mexico instead of here.
But, I find a lot if leases and have advertised some opening on places I have or an wanting. I'd say about half the calls I get are from Texans. Most saying they want everything or opening I have. Most don't care what it cost either.
I typically turn them away when they call.
When asked, most of them tell me it's cause they can find a place in Texas or it's WAY over priced. Considering how much some of these guys over me, "over priced" must be insane!!!

I also have to agree on the Kansas deal. A ton of Kansas hunters fill their one buck tag early ML (September) then hop the boarder to Oklahoma where they can buy 2 buck tags for cheap then hunt the rest of the year here. We run into a lot of Kansas guys leasing around us at Grant Co spots.

willystruck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To get things back on track, I've been sitting out this years deer season with a broken leg. Doc says no weight on it till after my appointment right after the first of the year. Got tired of reading about everyone else puttin venison in the freezer and seeing pics of some fantastic bucks. (Congrats to everyone, especially the younguns) I got out the last couple days, on my crutches, parked my butt a few feet away from the truck at the edge of the woods and nailed a nice fat doe this afternoon. Had to call my neighbor to drag it to the truck and throw it into the back so I could field dress her.
Wife and I eat venison 2 - 3 days a week. I couldn't stand the idea of the freezer going dry. Now If I can do it again with my crossbow in the next couple weeks, we'll be in good shape!

BTW Merry Christmas to everybody and hope everyone has a happy new year!

Latest posts

Top Bottom