2014 Rut info thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wednesday afternoon I sat and didn't see a darn thing.

Thursday morning, I shot a doe at 7:15am, sat till 8, then decided to get her gutted.

This morning, about 7:30, I heard deer running and had 2 doe show up at 40 yards. I got ready for a shot on what was chasing them, but it turned out to be a 4 point. 1 doe and the buck were panting hard. The does went to get a drink, but the buck continued to chase the original doe by at 20 yards heading south. The second doe grazed a bit and wondered off. 30 minutes later, more commotion from the north. I figured they were back and didn't bother standing. The doe came in to 10 yards and circled to the south. The buck appeared and was a 1.5 year old 6 point. I immediately kicked myself for not preparing for a shot as they were different deer and I would have missed a shot opportunity had I wanted it. The 6 point came to 5 yards, circle out to 10 and was trying to figure out what I was. I pulled my phone out, not caring if he busted me, as he was chasing, and snapped a few pics. He threw up his tail and bounded a few times before stopping, then stopped and took back off after the doe. A doe and a fawn came in about 20 minutes later with the doe walking directly under my doe estrous scent canister, sniffing, all the way up to my tree. I could hear her and the fawn breathing. I contemplated adding to the meat in the cooler, but passed and they wondered off to the west.

My game camera came alive the last 3 days with young bucks (1.5-2.5) chasing, mainly mornings.

I have all next week off. Looks to be about when the big boys should start chasing.

tapatalk.imageshack.com_v2_14_11_14_c3e149be9d6453467d35f523ba8fc676.jpg

tapatalk.imageshack.com_v2_14_11_14_d088e8f506d053652b9ba9d94daad375.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looking forward to the snow. I wish it happened during gun season. Shot a nice buck on a bare wheat field awhile back in the snow.

Double lung shot. It was amazing how much and how far the blood flew

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I finally got action last night. At 4:45 four does cruised by in the open field in no hurry. Right behind them, but under my stand a small 8-point. Two bites of corn and he was gone. 5 minutes later the same thing but a different small 8.
Deer all in the woods when it was too dark to hunt.

Nothin so far this am...

Sent from my tree stand.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
bigger deer just now showing up camera. one older deer has been moving during the midday so i'm going to sit from 10-1 today.
passed on a good looking little 8 point last night. he needs another year or two. i was in a ground blind, had him at 15 yards.
good luck to everybody this weekend, i think it might be a good one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom