2015 Controlled Hunts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes sir
Which is perfect because a good friend of mine is a biologist on Kaw and helps run the hunt. He's gonna help us out.
From what he's been telling me they love it and go way out of their way for there kids on this hunt.

That's odd. A couple months ago, okie 4570 asked me about that hunt. I looked around and found nothing. Asked a COE ranger on the ramp one day and he didn't know about it. Osage county GW didn't know about it either.
What area is the hunt in or is it lake wide?

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't know anything about it either, I just put him in for it. When he drew it i got ahold of my buddy. He told me it's a COE hunt not a ODWC hunt. They do the draw through the ODWC but other than the draw the ODWC have nothing to do with it. They only draw 4 kids for it and they close off the ORV area and camp for the hunt.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, that would be the sarge creek camp ground area. Good deer populations. We see deer tracks in the ATV area while riding there. Don't know if that's where the hunt will be held though.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what he said they are closing the ORV area and camp for the hunt. The camp will be for the hunters who want to stay in and the hunt will be in the ORV area.
I'm not real familiar with Kaw but Apparently the ORV area is not typically open for hunting?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From what he said they are closing the ORV area and camp for the hunt. The camp will be for the hunters who want to stay in and the hunt will be in the ORV area.
I'm not real familiar with Kaw but Apparently the ORV area is not typically open for hunting?

No it's not, but it's adjacent to an excellent area that is full of deer even when atv's are running all over the place.
Back in the day when you could only shoot a doe on the last day, the area across the fence from the atv area is where we typically set up a drive. Really thick brush and scrub oak trees.
The atv area is elevated. I have some pics I'll dig up later that shows part of it.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, try as I might, I wasn't able to get the cabin people on the phone in time to be able to get a reservation. Looks like I'm going to be putting up a tent.

Latest posts

Top Bottom