2015 Controlled Hunts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm still surprised they allow cell phones, since they don't allow cameras. It definitely makes it a safer hunt, and allows you to contact the hunt headquarters should you have a deer down. I was there the first year they allowed cell phones, few cell phones at the time had cameras, and if yours did, they didn't want you to take it in. All phones can be checked for pics at anytime on the hunt still today. Used to, if you needed help or had a deer down, you had to walk or drive to a red phone placed every mile or so and call.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm still surprised they allow cell phones, since they don't allow cameras. It definitely makes it a safer hunt, and allows you to contact the hunt headquarters should you have a deer down. I was there the first year they allowed cell phones, few cell phones at the time had cameras, and if yours did, they didn't want you to take it in. All phones can be checked for pics at anytime on the hunt still today. Used to, if you needed help or had a deer down, you had to walk or drive to a red phone placed every mile or so and call.

This is actually something I was kind of wondering about. It still says on the MCAAP hunt website that you "Camera cell phones" are "Items Prohibited on the installation (No Tolerance!)". Of course, their website kind of looks like it was written in about 1986, so maybe they just haven't updated that? :-)

I was talking to a friend of mine about the hunt, and he mentioned that he had heard that they allow you to come out about a month before the hunt to scout. Does anyone know if this is true?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Never heard of that one, but they used to(and maybe still do) have a August or September bus tour to look at the big bucks. As far as scouting on foot, that's what you'll do on Thursday after the hunt meeting.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never heard of that one, but they used to(and maybe still do) have a August or September bus tour to look at the big bucks. As far as scouting on foot, that's what you'll do on Thursday after the hunt meeting.

That bus tour could possibly be what he was thinking about. He has never hunted out there, so he was just going by 3rd (or 16th) party information. Which is why I asked here. :-)

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Agree, some of the regs just don't make sense.
The last time I hunted there, somebody asked that very question. Bill Starry, the hunt director said they were concerned that if somebody dropped theirs, and a lens popped out, it could start a fire by the sun shining through it. That's the reasoning behind it.

Boy, is THAT far fetched?!?!?!?!?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Boy, is THAT far fetched?!?!?!?!?

Yes it is. There were a lot of rolled eyes when that one came out.
Oklahomabassin may have the real reason in their thinking.
I guess you might be able to sneak up to one of the manufacturing buildings and watch one of the machines run part of the operation. Building bombs is not a top secret operation. Especially since the perimeter fence around the facility is 4 rows of barbed wire, and you can zoom down to almost ground level with google earth.

Methinks Mr Starry wants to keep it as primitive as possible. I may be wrong though.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, it does not say that you cannot have a spotting scope??? What about my rifle scope? And, my eyeglasses. I might see something they don't want me to see!

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Woohoo!! I don't have to sleep in a tent. I didn't get in touch with them early enough to reserve a cabin, but I was able to reserve a travel trailer today. I don't mind calling in a tent when it's more than just me there, but I was not looking forward to having to set up camp by myself. :-)

Latest posts

Top Bottom