2020 waterfowl

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
My youngest son is heading up this week to duck hunt, and he’s hearing that having river access should be really good right now.

I’m coming up next week (Thanksgiving week) and bringing my wife, so she can see our house for the first time. I’m not much of a “duck hunter”, but if I can jump shoot them off the river, I probably will.:anyone:

It's still so warm and still hasn't been that cold, that even the little prairie pot holes still have vegetation growing along the edges and lot's of ducks in them. Ton of cranes here right now.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's still so warm and still hasn't been that cold, that even the little prairie pot holes still have vegetation growing along the edges and lot's of ducks in them.
That’s generally the case, and why we don’t see many ducks on the river. I haven’t been up in a couple weeks, but when I left, nearly all the pot holes that usually have water were dry.:anyone:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
That’s generally the case, and why we don’t see many ducks on the river. I haven’t been up in a couple weeks, but when I left, nearly all the pot holes that usually have water were dry.:anyone:

I don't think you got the rain after the ice like we did, there's still water everywhere here it seems. When it gets down to single digits a few nights in a row, the river is fantastic usually. During normal temps you still get to shoot some divers that most don't get to shoot at if they just hunt small water. Buffleheads, common goldeneye, common mergansers (yuck lol), hooded mergansers. Lot's buffleheads and common goldeneyes up there usually.

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just two gad drakes. Nothing else flying at all. Except for a flock of turkeys that flew down from their roost practically on top of me. All hens.
20201116_112508.jpg

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Shot 4 mallards and 2 gadwall yesterday. A week ago there wasn’t a gray to be found. This week is was nearly 50/50

Glad you're into some birds. This will go down as our worst year by far I'm thinking. 7 birds down i think for the year lol. We're usually approaching the 100-150 bird mark by now.

Toothpick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My middle son and 2 HS buddies have been doing well.
He’s giving them a break today but has been hunting ponds in Central OK
Several 2 man limits and the last three days three of them shot 14, 16, and 14. Mainly gadwall with a few mallards, teal and a couple of shovelors. One pond they each got their limit of woodies. The last few years have been kinda slow, or they were getting educated but it’s starting to come together this year.

Latest posts

Top Bottom