2022 Controlled Hunts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When we hunted the draw walkin hunt in 2021, there were multiple guys that stopped while we were loading our bulls in the truck over the 1st 2 days that said they hadn’t seen any elk. Not sure where they had been hunting but we saw 17 bulls(killed 2 of them) and 60-70 cows all in 2 days. Takes a lot of effort, have to put in the miles.
What's the walk-in hunt like vs the other? Was told it's about a 4 mile hike each way. Making a couple of trips with loaded packs would need some working out prior!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
What's the walk-in hunt like vs the other? Was told it's about a 4 mile hike each way. Making a couple of trips with loaded packs would need some working out prior!
The walk in is just that, be ready to work for it from beginning to end, but you can apply with a partner. No help in or out, before or after the harvest. The traditional hunt, consider it like a semi self guided solo hunt. Transportation in and out, suggestions on elk locations and help packing out once the elk is down.

Wannabe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The walk-in is a 1/2 day Monday then 3 full days and a 1/2 day on Friday. You apply with a partner and each of you gets to bring a helper. They give you a map with all of the available entry points to the restricted area with a combination to the gates so you can get in. This will be as close as you will get in Oklahoma to a western style hunt. Yes, you need to prepare physically and mentally especially if you have never mountain hunted with a pack style in/out trip. It only took us 2 days to fill and pack out both bulls however, that is because a couple of RMEF guys pointed us in a different direction than we had planned. We wanted to hunt area H which is known for the largest bulls. (6 miles just to get to area H) They saved us a bunch of miles and put us in the general area of some nice bulls. I will say that is was the best hunting experience I have ever had. We are now planning a trip to Colorado for next fall. Elk hunting is in my blood for life.
777430CE-5777-4A07-99DB-BE55554ACAEB.jpeg
B83CF61D-9F5B-43E4-88FE-C60F7F26AE36.jpeg
61A44919-F491-43F2-93B8-C6950BFA59DF.jpeg

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The walk-in is a 1/2 day Monday then 3 full days and a 1/2 day on Friday. You apply with a partner and each of you gets to bring a helper. They give you a map with all of the available entry points to the restricted area with a combination to the gates so you can get in. This will be as close as you will get in Oklahoma to a western style hunt. Yes, you need to prepare physically and mentally especially if you have never mountain hunted with a pack style in/out trip. It only took us 2 days to fill and pack out both bulls however, that is because a couple of RMEF guys pointed us in a different direction than we had planned. We wanted to hunt area H which is known for the largest bulls. (6 miles just to get to area H) They saved us a bunch of miles and put us in the general area of some nice bulls. I will say that is was the best hunting experience I have ever had. We are now planning a trip to Colorado for next fall. Elk hunting is in my blood for life. View attachment 329363View attachment 329365View attachment 329366
Nice bull!! Didn't realize the walk in hunts are during the week. That changes quite a bit for me. Lived in CO for 20 of the last 25 years and done my share of backpack/bivy hunts for elk. Honestly just want to get my wife a good bull. Appreciate the info!

Wannabe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice bull!! Didn't realize the walk in hunts are during the week. That changes quite a bit for me. Lived in CO for 20 of the last 25 years and done my share of backpack/bivy hunts for elk. Honestly just want to get my wife a good bull. Appreciate the t
Nice bull!! Didn't realize the walk in hunts are during the week. That changes quite a bit for me. Lived in CO for 20 of the last 25 years and done my share of backpack/bivy hunts for elk. Honestly just want to get my wife a good bull. Appreciate the info!
Thanks!! It was a challenge but we had prepared. We were exhausted after 12 miles of packing multiple trips but I would have gladly been back in there the next day. I have made it known that my back and pack are available to go with anyone who might need a partner in the future just to be back in there. With regard to the draw hunts, most of the hunts that are held on federal land are during the week from what I have noticed. The state hunts are on weekends which I wish they would change.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For full transparency I did no show to a muzzle loader hunt at Ft. Gibson back in 2018. BUT, I called the ODWC the day I was selected and told them I could not make it and that I hoped they were able to add someone else in my place. I am not sure that they did but I was really frustrated that I could not make it.

I had a good reason though, I started a new job and didn't feel comfortable asking for three or so days off in my first few months of work.
FT Gibson is a great hunt id did that one before.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They told me on my hunt in 2006 that cows are bunched together, so if you find one, you find several. Bulls tend to wander solo. That is why the bull success is in the 80% range and cow success is in the 40% range.
If anyone goes on a cow tag and you aren’t seeing cows……start talking to the bull hunters. The year I went I didn’t see a single cow my first day. All bulls. Started talking to bull hunters in my group and one said he saw a ton of cows. Had the driver drop me where he saw them the next morning and had my cow within an hour.

Latest posts

Top Bottom