2022 Controlled Hunts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Talked to a guy this evening at a hs basketball game when I was running the clock. He drew out on Wichita mts bull elk. Think he said it was his 12th year or so. Shot 5x6 and saw lots of bulls. He said there were EIGHTEEN no shows his weekend. He said that hunt guy in charge said they average 12 no shows per elk hunt. They must factor in the no shows for the cow hunts too, unless this year has just been way worse than 2021.

Screenshot_20221212-220954_Drive.jpg

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Talked to a guy this evening at a hs basketball game when I was running the clock. He drew out on Wichita mts bull elk. Think he said it was his 12th year or so. Shot 5x6 and saw lots of bulls. He said there were EIGHTEEN no shows his weekend. He said that hunt guy in charge said they average 12 no shows per elk hunt. They must factor in the no shows for the cow hunts too, unless this year has just been way worse than 2021.

View attachment 328369
I just don't understand why anyone would no show. It is a freaking elk hunt and once in a lifetime, why would anyone do that?

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

View attachment 328369
My buddy was on a cow hunt there last week. He said a bunch of guys hunted on Tuesday, then never came back. WTF? I guess they got tired?

FWIW I got drawn at Sequoyah, killed a good pig, buddy killed two does, other buddy struck out.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Notice it's primarily the cow hunts. I heard from a guy who's wife drew a cow tag and hunted the allotted 3 days but never got a shot at a cow. Not sure if she saw any. My understanding is the bull/cow ratio may be a bit on the high side and likely should reduce some of the cow tags.

But, to your point, why not hunt on a once in a lifetime tag? Keep in mind most of these are like 2 or 3 day only hunts so most expect to take an elk the first day and possibly get frustrated if not seeing cows and leave. Who knows? If/when my wife and I draw, we'll hunt every day allowed sun up to sun down until one is taken.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I heard from a guy who's wife drew a cow tag and hunted the allotted 3 days but never got a shot at a cow. Not sure if she saw any. My understanding is the bull/cow ratio may be a bit on the high side and likely should reduce some of the cow tags.
They told me on my hunt in 2006 that cows are bunched together, so if you find one, you find several. Bulls tend to wander solo. That is why the bull success is in the 80% range and cow success is in the 40% range.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No shows just really torque me off. I understand that things do come up at the last minute, but you know that is not the case for all of those no shows. I've been putting in for that hunt since it started, and here folks are just blowing off a once in a lifetime opportunity. :pissed::finger:

Yep.
Many years ago ODWC would allow hunters to show up at deer hunts and then fill in no-shows on a first-come, first serve basis. I think that turned into a management hassle so it was discontinued long ago.

It's a crying shame, some guys are willing to put in the time for a hunt, and get knocked out of the drawing by some slacker no-show.

Wannabe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When we hunted the draw walkin hunt in 2021, there were multiple guys that stopped while we were loading our bulls in the truck over the 1st 2 days that said they hadn’t seen any elk. Not sure where they had been hunting but we saw 17 bulls(killed 2 of them) and 60-70 cows all in 2 days. Takes a lot of effort, have to put in the miles.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m not surprised by the no shows, because very few people today see a real need to follow through with ANYTHING. :anyone:
For full transparency I did no show to a muzzle loader hunt at Ft. Gibson back in 2018. BUT, I called the ODWC the day I was selected and told them I could not make it and that I hoped they were able to add someone else in my place. I am not sure that they did but I was really frustrated that I could not make it.

I had a good reason though, I started a new job and didn't feel comfortable asking for three or so days off in my first few months of work.

Latest posts

Top Bottom