2022 Garden thread.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
7E64E719-B09D-4382-9245-77002D5E0309.png
57AD60B5-8EAA-4DCD-B18D-C711D5794F3B.png

2 rows of ten new to the south side of the shop
Will make an interesting addition next to the grapes by the bait tank filter. Unfortunately seems I clipped one with the tractor digging the hole. Good place to put that wayward blueberry plant in the feed tub.......Maby.

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
9B1A2559-AAE7-4D82-BC5F-2C629B26B1CC.jpeg23ACB974-F837-42A1-A44D-FF453AE5C8D5.jpeg

First blooms of the year!!
Probably a patio hybrid of some type as short and thick as it is, don’t care it will be better than anything at the stores.

Second pic, sucker I pinched off a Bodacious type hybrid and stuck in some miracle grow potting soil about 2 weeks ago. Will be interesting to see if it produces any fruit, I honestly didn’t think it would make it a week but here it is.

As for the rabbit problem. We put empty feed tubs with the bottoms cut out around our peppers and tomatoes, no weeds after they are packed with a layer of hay, as a bonus if the temps drop too much at night we can slip trash bags over them easy enough to protect the young plants.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
First year ever trying something like this… Had the old horse tank for a week… then felt the need to add two mineral tubs this morning… and I bought to much soil when I went to get some soil for the tubs so now I have an excuse for more tubs or something. Learning as I go this year…
FB443507-3065-418C-B39A-2A279091BE5F.jpeg

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Just wanted to pass this along. I can’t say if it is effective from personal experience, but decades of houses in Japan can’t be wrong. In my current situation (we’re likely only living here a few years) I’m too cheap to buy containers that won’t rot, and don’t wanna pony up the cash for cedar. So I’m adapting the Japanese practice of yakisugi to make my raised beds last longer. The original practice only uses Japanese cypress boards called Sugi, but I figure it will help with any soft wood. The idea is to burn your boards, preferably the first 2-3 millimeters of the surface. That creates a more fire resistant, protected finish on the boards that will make them less likely to rot. I’m guessing that a lot of it is due to you creating a layer of carbon crystals on the wood. It’s also rather attractive, all natural, and a tank of propane is much cheaper than ponying up the extra cash for cedar or sealants. Or if you have more patience, you just need to create triangles with your boards and start a fire inside. In Japan there’s plenty of houses with 25+ year old wood siding still looking doing its job, so I figure if this helps my cheap pine raised beds last 3-5 years I’ll be doing alright.
https://nakamotoforestry.com/what-is-shou-sugi-ban-yakisugi/View attachment 260451View attachment 260452

If I have a successful little harvest this year I’m going to get these:

https://shop.epicgardening.com/collections/birdies-original

Latest posts

Top Bottom