.22 conversion for AR?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just got my new Midway catalog, and they had a complete upper for an AR in a .22LR caliber listed for $460. Brand is an AR-Stoner.

Anybody have or know of one of these uppers?
Good stuff or junk?

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know about this particular one, but of all the .22 uppers I have seen and played with the one to have is the Nordic Components upper. It is the only one that runs as well as a 10-22. all the others are spoty at best on function and accuracy. The Nordic will retail for around $500 and is soooo much better than the rest I would go that way. KurtM

SIG229

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kurt, not to stray off-topic too far (since my question is about a complete rifle, not an upper), but do you have an opinion about the M&P 15-22? Also, does the Nordic function completely like an AR (bolt locks back on empty mag, etc.)?

Buzz70

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kurt, not to stray off-topic too far (since my question is about a complete rifle, not an upper), but do you have an opinion about the M&P 15-22? Also, does the Nordic function completely like an AR (bolt locks back on empty mag, etc.)?

SIG, I purchased a 15-22 from budsgunshop.com for around $400. Before purchasing I researched and found a lot of people had extractor issues right out of the box. They would send them back to Smith, who in turn repaired the problem and sent back with a couple of extra magazines. So I was not suprised when mine had the same issue. Just be aware you may or may not have an extractor issue with this rifle out of the box. I contacted Smith, they sent me a return label, fixed in a few weeks, and sent it back with two free mags ($50 dollar value). Haven't had any issues with it since. This process didn't cost me a penny. Kudos to Smith on their customer service.

The rifle is a nice replica of a .223. The fit and finish are excellent. It's very lightweight and is very accurate at 25 yards. The magazine is easy to load and holds all 25 rounds. The sights are very nice. I noticed that fire selector and bolt release function just like a real AR. The gun is so close to the real thing you can replace the stock, grip, and trigger internals if you had the urge. The only change I plan on doing is adding an optic and having the barrel threaded for a flash supressor. NOTE the newer models come with flash supressors and from what I hear all their extractor problems were resolved.

I'd highly recommend one as they are fun as heck to shoot, relatively cheap and easy to maintain.

My :twocents:

Here are pics of mine:
[Broken External Image]
ai39.photobucket.com_albums_e157_Buzz70_GunRange_SDC10483.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know about this particular one, but of all the .22 uppers I have seen and played with the one to have is the Nordic Components upper. It is the only one that runs as well as a 10-22. all the others are spoty at best on function and accuracy. The Nordic will retail for around $500 and is soooo much better than the rest I would go that way. KurtM

I'll do a little research on this model. Thanks for the opinion.:thumb:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
SIG, I purchased a 15-22 from budsgunshop.com for around $400. Before purchasing I researched and found a lot of people had extractor issues right out of the box. They would send them back to Smith, who in turn repaired the problem and sent back with a couple of extra magazines. So I was not suprised when mine had the same issue. Just be aware you may or may not have an extractor issue with this rifle out of the box. I contacted Smith, they sent me a return label, fixed in a few weeks, and sent it back with two free mags ($50 dollar value). Haven't had any issues with it since. This process didn't cost me a penny. Kudos to Smith on their customer service.

The rifle is a nice replica of a .223. The fit and finish are excellent. It's very lightweight and is very accurate at 25 yards. The magazine is easy to load and holds all 25 rounds. The sights are very nice. I noticed that fire selector and bolt release function just like a real AR. The gun is so close to the real thing you can replace the stock, grip, and trigger internals if you had the urge. The only change I plan on doing is adding an optic and having the barrel threaded for a flash supressor. NOTE the newer models come with flash supressors and from what I hear all their extractor problems were resolved.

I'd highly recommend one as they are fun as heck to shoot, relatively cheap and easy to maintain.

My :twocents:

I could kick myself in the butt, as a co-worker bought one of the first ones, and never fired it before selling it in the classifieds. I should have bought it. Thanks for the info:thumb:

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes the bolt locks back on the last shot, but on the magazine follower, not the blot stop of the AR. The Nordic mimics the weight of an M-4 so training wise it is the same weight as a M-4 not real light like some of the other .22 it already comes threaded 1/2X28 and comes with a very nice Nodic comp installed. The biggest plus to this unit is that the ejection port is HUGE allowing for easy jam clearing...if you ever have one, and the ejector is mounted solidly to the upper and boy does it eject!! 10-15' to the right. Most other conversions are plagued with stove pipe type jams that can't be cleared easily, the Nordic doesn't stove pipe...it EJECTS. Also the firinfg pin is made from an AR firing pin and is much more robust than any other unit I have ever seen. I don't think you could ever break one unlike the Ceiner/Atchison type convertions, which like to break fairly offten and are hard to find. KurtM

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While I'm on this topic, does anybody make the .17HMR in a complete upper?

I looked for a long time (this was 4-5 years ago) for any cool-looking semi-auto .17HMR rifle (or upper or conversion kit) and its very slim pickens - 10/22 conversions are about all that was out there back then. A .17HM2 upper might be fun too, but in either case, you're already at or higher than .223 ammo for a tinier bang (and still rim-fire).

Latest posts

Top Bottom