.22 for CCW?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

.22 pistol fro CCW

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

casualplinker

Marksman
Reaction score
"Fess up time" - how many of ya'll carry a .22 semi-auto for SD? Like a Ruger SR22 or the Walther P22 or something similar; light weight and 10+1 capacity? All the time? Sometimes? Maybe? No way Jose!

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For real? Why would one choose a .22lr as a SD gun unless they had like major Arthur-it-is or something that prevents one from carrying a harder hitting caliber? Or is it the cost of ammo? Or cheapness factor of the pistols that would tend to lure one to carry a .22lr? :chat:

jcizzle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife does. She wanted a really small and thin gun so she'd carry it rather than stick it in her purse. When she stepped down to stuff like the little ruger it hurt her hand and she wasn't comfortable with it.

She loves her barretta bobcat in .22lr which means she enjoys shooting and practicing it. Maybe she'll step up to larger caliber later but for now that's what she carries.

Larger caliber small gun she thought hurt and wouldn't like to practice and become familiar with. Bigger gun would cut down recoil but she wouldn't carry it so what would be the point.

Some folks take steps and we shouldn't condemn them for not diving in head first like we did.

Sent from atop the throne in the last stall using Tapatalk 2 for Android.

Soonere39

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife does. She wanted a really small and thin gun so she'd carry it rather than stick it in her purse. When she stepped down to stuff like the little ruger it hurt her hand and she wasn't comfortable with it.

She loves her barretta bobcat in .22lr which means she enjoys shooting and practicing it. Maybe she'll step up to larger caliber later but for now that's what she carries.

Larger caliber small gun she thought hurt and wouldn't like to practice and become familiar with. Bigger gun would cut down recoil but she wouldn't carry it so what would be the point.

Some folks take steps and we shouldn't condemn them for not diving in head first like we did.

Sent from atop the throne in the last stall using Tapatalk 2 for Android.
Well put.
While it isn't an ideal cc weapon, it's leading her into being comfortable with a cc weapon and she might upgrade at a later date. Having something is better than nothing. It should be enough to scare off a BG and even if it won't knock em down, they should sure as hell quit advancing.
I personally don't even have a 22 pistol but i suppose there is a place and time when something ultra compact might be needed and there is a low probablility of needing a larger caliber.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
GTFO with this .22LR nonsense. There are plenty of small guns in 9mm. Sure they are not tons of fun at the range but that is not what they were meant for. Shoot them enough to stay familiar with the controls and verify I can hit my target to my own satisfaction and then cleaned and back in the holster they go.

I think maybe that is where some people go wrong. They buy their sub compact 9mm and expect to be able to throw 500 rounds down range and have fun doing it. The mags are harder to load, the slides are harder to hand cycle, the recoil is less pleasant, the muzzle blast is louder...etc. They are not meant for range fun.

I shoot .22LR often but not with any intent to use them for defense. The M&P .22LR handgun is a great training tool.

Latest posts

Top Bottom