.22 for CCW?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

.22 pistol fro CCW

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No way Jose. If my P3AT isn't small enough for a situation, I don't need to be carrying. I am actually upgrading my pocket gun from it to a 9mm CM9 because I feel even the .380 is pushing it for what I am comfortable with for defensive use. Most of the time I carry a full size .40. I will probably keep the .380 as an absolute last ditch option for when anything else is too big.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No way Jose. If my P3AT isn't small enough for a situation, I don't need to be carrying. I am actually upgrading my pocket gun from it to a 9mm CM9 because I feel even the .380 is pushing it for what I am comfortable with for defensive use. Most of the time I carry a full size .40. I will probably keep the .380 as an absolute last ditch option for when anything else is too big.

Some of the new Ballistics data for the .380 is pretty impressive.

The ammo manufactureres have stepped to the plate.

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For a short time a few years ago, the only pistol I had available was a .22 revolver. I carried it.

Definitely not the best option, but better than nothing. In my mind at least, a .22 revolver is better than a semi-auto due to the higher chance of a malfunction with rimfire ammo.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sanford, for the size of the PMR-30 you could be packing something with much more bite. Maybe not equivalent capacity, but much more energy in any single hit on target.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sanford, for the size of the PMR-30 you could be packing something with much more bite. Maybe not equivalent capacity, but much more energy in any single hit on target.

I wasn't particularly recommending the PMR-30, just responding to the comment about whether a .22 would be able to put down a raging meth head - as with most questions the answer to that is "it depends".

Now, consider someone who doesn't have full use of or a lot of strength in their hands, wrists, forearms, elbows, etc. They may well not be able to rack an automatic so they're essentially limited to a revolver. Given the lack of strength, a .38 Special might be too much for them to handle. So - what are their alternatives? Well, one might be the little 5 shot .380 revolver that Taurus makes. Another might be the Smith 351 with 7 shots of .22 Magnum. I'd be hard pressed to recommend the Taurus over the Smith, as long as they were able to handle the heavy trigger pull of the Smith.

Fatboy Joe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I voted yes, based on the factor that is if that is all I had, I would carry it all the time. I feel super confident with a .22 that I can hit something in a 2 inch square from 10 yards a way. Placement is everything.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seems like an awful lot of folks in here think that even though a .45 goes "BOOM!" A 9mm goes "BAM!" And a .22 lr boolit goes "pew pew pew", that the pew pew pew of the old .22 is enuff.

Latest posts

Top Bottom