.22 for raccoons

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.T.M.F

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a friend that would like me to eliminate some raccoons from her property. How would a .22 handle raccoons? I have a semi auto .22 and would like to shoot multiple raccoons that are eating all of the deer corn. I know a head shot would work but how about a quick follow up shot to the body?

Iwant1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a friend that would like me to eliminate some raccoons from her property. How would a .22 handle raccoons? I have a semi auto .22 and would like to shoot multiple raccoons that are eating all of the deer corn. I know a head shot would work but how about a quick follow up shot to the body?

I'm from Florida and used to shoot 3-4 foot alligators in the eye and ear flap with .22 up to 25 yards and it kills them with one shot. Of course they spin and twurl for about 5 minutes, but they die. They hung around our dock and used to eat our animals.
A Head shot will kill racoons with one shot. Some will quiver and kick for about 30 seconds and sometimes I enjoy the follow up shot. But the .22 works great to the head of many animals.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My dad uses a .410 damn near nightly during the corn season.

He checks his corn field every single night in the late summer/early fall about the time that the corn is getting ready (coons do love corn!) and he'll shoot at least one or two every night.

He tried a .22 but he said after you shoot a few of 'em, their buddies start gettin' wise to ya, so he started using the .410 so he could get 'em on the run. ;)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have lots of coons on the feeders, and trapping season is on now, so in the past I've used my .22 Ruger on them. Head shot them, and the struggle is all but over. I think this year, I'm going to use my Kel-tec p3at, see how well a 90 grain HP will do. I need to shoot it every so often anywhay.
I mainly use live traps, and found a .45 ACP will go all the way through the animal and mess up your trap pretty good. Not much struggle after the shot though.:D

Thorgrim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was a kid back in Pa. I shot a sleeping coon and he growled at me after the first shot (body). It took 4 shots to kill the sucker. He's in my living room now. Kind of old and dusty. Tough bastard.

Iwant1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad uses a .410 damn near nightly during the corn season.

He checks his corn field every single night in the late summer/early fall about the time that the corn is getting ready (coons do love corn!) and he'll shoot at least one or two every night.

He tried a .22 but he said after you shoot a few of 'em, their buddies start gettin' wise to ya, so he started using the .410 so he could get 'em on the run. ;)

+1 .410 is a better choice for skyward shots and running targets.

Latest posts

Top Bottom