.22 or buckshot for hogs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ft. Sill has it's own list of game regulations on top of the state. I looked but can't find my handbook from the class you have to take to hunt on base. I do still have my topo overlay maps though! I especially enjoyed the story about the guy taking a little target practice on the unexploded ordinance with a Ruger Mark II during the permit class.

pngndn

New to the site!
Reaction score
I have taken several feral hogs the last couple of years on my lease in tx. you can use archery and nearly any bullet as long as the shot placement is good. remember they have a thick shield that runs from the shoulders to the ribs. I have heard from several people that their 7 mag didn't penetrate the shield.

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The site is down right now, but I believe this is the link to one of the regulations. Ill have to check my regs when I get home.

sill-www.army.mil/dhr/.../FS_Pubs/Cirs/200-06-02.htm

If not search ft sill in yahoo.com then go to the regulations portion of the site. The hunting regs at 2/3 way down the page if my memory serves me right.

Also keep up with the cannoneer at the lawton constitution and they will post when the hog season opens up.

http://www.swoknews.com/main.asp?SectionID=22&TM=43765.31

According to the wildside article info for the hog season will be released this Thursday. I check it every thursday so I can stay up tp speed with what is going on down there.

Good luck brother. Maybe I will run into you when I come down for the hog season.

DrTurkenstein

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Because Fort Sill is federal land the Commanding General can set the regs as long as they are in compliance with federal law. Buckshot is not legal on post and probably never will be. Hunting and fishing on post are second to training and safety and those with the power on post won't allow buckshot. But like Davs2601 said the Hog season dates should be in the Cannoneer on Thursday and last year they allowed shotgun with slugs and muzzleloaders.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.22Lr is used for killing cows in a packing house.
.22 mag is used for killing bulls in a packing house.
BUT! it has to be a perfect shot to the brain.
I wouldn't like to see what happend in the field with a wild hog using a .22LR

Latest posts

Top Bottom