.22 Pistol Poll

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which new .22 would you buy for general range and plinking use?

• Ruger Target MK III

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Ruger Target 22-45

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • Ruger SR22

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Buckmark Camper

Votes: 19 36.5%
  • S&W 22A

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Beretta NEOS

• Sig Mosquito

• Walther P22

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • M&P .22

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 4 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the S&W 22A. Very accurate, good trigger, rail for mounting scope, plain sights (but you can find one or order one with fiber optic sights) but they just went up from $250 to $280 and $290 in Tulsa. You do have to keep them clean. VERY easy to disassemble.

I have not shot but would like to get the S&W MP22 with full size slide. Student had one the other day and it feels very good and it shot some ammo that I have trouble with but this gun shot 50 rounds without any problems.

Have read that Sig Misquitos are very picky on the ammo they will shoot and have also seen this first hand. The other day, three students had them and all three had multiple malfunctions in shooting their 50 rounds to qualify.

Ruger SR22 good looking but small gun with short barrel. Reviews say they function pretty good.

Ruger Mark II and III feel good but I still think they are very hard to re-assemble compared to other .22 guns.

Read that the Ruger 22/45 (i think this the name) are having major problems with taking apart and putting back together. So much that some guys are sending back to Ruger just because they cannot get them back together. As if there was a design problem. No first hand experience though.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's a tough call between the M&P 22 and the Buckmark, but I would go with Browning for a .22 pistol. My dad has the 22A but has been having feeding/jamming issues. I told him to try some CCI ammo(he was using cheap bulk ammo) and if that didn't fix it to call S&W and they would send him a shipping label. Right now he is a little disappointed in it.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
...Read that the Ruger 22/45 (i think this the name) are having major problems with taking apart and putting back together. So much that some guys are sending back to Ruger just because they cannot get them back together. As if there was a design problem. No first hand experience though.

I have owned a one of these for ~15 years and it has performed VERY well. The best advice I can give on tear down in to invest in a rawhide mallet and do NOT lose th intruction manual. They are a PITA to teardown and reassemble for cleaning

maxim240sx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've owned the mkII, the 22/45, buckmark camper, 22A, and the 2 p22's. I honestly liked the walthers the best. They were easy to break down and clean. Didn't have any issues with bulk ammo and lightweight. I think its a great plinker that anyone can shoot.

ByrdC130

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Owned and shot Rugers, P-22, Buckmark, 22-A,Mosquito and 3 different 1911 .22's. My opinion only.
Most fun: P-22 after mods, mine ate any kind of ammo and needed 50 round mag for ultimate fun!
Most accurate: Buckmark w/stock barrel & Ruger Mk's a very close second.(not counting S&W41) My BM eats any ammo and you can learn how to reassemble a Ruger.
Cool Factor: P22 and Walther built Colt 1911 .22 tied for cool factor and shooting fun.
Ease of teardown and clean: .22A & short barrel P22
What would I buy; Like the P22 because of the hammer and double action in case of a misfire (what a Rem Gold Bullet misfire????) but thumbs up to the Buckmark w/red dot for speed shooting steel, just about the cheapest and easiest to find mags and good reliable don't have to mess with the darned thing to get it to shoot great gun. (google Heggis spring flip)

Latest posts

Top Bottom