.223 or 7.62x39

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hi shooters,
So I got my lifetime combo and am really wanting to hunt this year. Here my dilemma...... I don't really have a deer hunting rifle. The two rifles that I own are my ar, and ak. My ak is just a plain Jane, no scope. My ar has a nice mil dot scope. Should I go with the ar? If yes then what type of ammo should I get, would it be ok for deer? This is going to be my first year hunting. My first choice is the AR but I'm not sure if the round is good for deer, I know the 7.62x39 would be better for hunting deer, but I don't know about it's accuracy compared to the ar. Any advise would be appreciated, and I mean any. I'm open to any opinions you guys got. What type of ammo would you recommend for either rifle, and which rifle would you recommend over the other and why. I also have a 12ga, I have a moss berg 590, which I'm okay with, and a western field (it's like a moss erg 500) which I'm a decent shot with.

P.s my ar is a 20in barrel with 1:7 twist. Ak is a wasr10

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Honestly, the most important thing is actually being able to hit the deer in the vitals. So, whichever rifle/caliber you choose you need to have a pretty good idea of what your capabilities are with that particular gun. Shooting from a bench is nothing compared to the moment you lay your eyes on a deer during season.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
either gun is plenty capable. if you opt for the AR just make sure you get soft point or hollow point. i would go with the soft point as the metal jacket hollow oints may not expand enough. i believe FMJ are illegal for deer hunting. also make sure your mag can't hold more than 7 rounds. 7round mags are available just for hunting.
thats being said,the 7.62x39 would make a fine deer round. ruger and cz and others are chambering it in bolt guns. the AK might leave a little to be desired at shots over 100-150 yrds though. make sure you practice with both at these ranges then decide based on where you are hunting.
i like my deer up close and personal. of the couple dozen i've taken only two have been at 100 yards. the rest have been less than 50. so either would work.
if you can get them close enough to hit with a slingshot, then you've beaten they're senses which is the real challenge.
best of luck and have fun!

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The legal magazine limit is 5 rounds not 7.

From http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/laws_regs/huntingguide.htm under deer regulations:

Deer Gun

Legal Means of Taking

Rifles: Centerfire rifles firing at least a 55-grain weight soft-nosed or hollow-point bullet and having an overall cartridge case length of 1 1/4 inches or longer (9mm rifles are not legal). Clips or magazines of all .22 caliber centerfire firearms may not be capable of holding more than seven rounds of ammunition.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
223 would be fine, just pick the right ammo. Barnes TSX or Nosler Partition, Federal Fusion has a 64gr load out and BVAC loads the Federal bullet, their 9 or 10 bucks a box from cheaper than dirt, so more than cheap enough you can practice without breaking the bank.

victor3ranger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would pick the AR with good 60+ grain soft points, plenty of rifle to bring a deer down if you hit it in the vitals. The AK will have more knockdown power due to the heavier bullet, but again I would use soft point rounds to maximize the punch.
Does your AK have the side mount for the scope?? Or is it iron sights? I don't trust the top dust cover scope mounts on AK's, too much movement.

Latest posts

Top Bottom