.223 or 7.62x39

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the opinions guys, I'm leaning more towards the ar, with soft point 55+ grain bullets. My AK has the side mount piece, I just don't want to scope it. I'm going to be doing a lot of practice till deer season ...... can't wait.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No doubt 7.62x39 has more punch, but placement is the king - and AR would be the king in placement department. Proper bullet and reasonable distance - you'll have no problem taking deer.

With all that said - for the first hunt I'd bring a lot more gun then either one - bolt gun in 308-range (even borrowed), there is just so much happening when hunting you'll want the simplicity, accuracy and plenty of punch for one-hit-kill.

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No doubt 7.62x39 has more punch, but placement is the king - and AR would be the king in placement department. Proper bullet and reasonable distance - you'll have no problem taking deer.

With all that said - for the first hunt I'd bring a lot more gun then either one - bolt gun in 308-range (even borrowed), there is just so much happening when hunting you'll want the simplicity, accuracy and plenty of punch for one-hit-kill.

Ive actually been thinking of selling one of my hand guns so i can purchase a .308 rifle. I was thinking one of the savage models. I like the accu triggers on them. Maybe even in a 30-06.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would highly recommend any switch barrel - Savage, Stevens, Marlin and, apparently, Mossberg as well. With modern cartridges, bullets and powders I don't see a reason for long action, unless you need a full sized magnum.

Swine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Agreed... keep it simple, use the right gun for the job. Unless you want a good posiblity to learn tracking!.

I can't help this but since the 30-30 has taken more game than all other calibers combined (at least thats what I read on the the wiki) then this has to be in someone's collection. Its so ugly and retarded of a consept that I got to get one! I'm just drawn to it.

http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/New/41026.gif

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Agreed... keep it simple, use the right gun for the job. Unless you want a good posiblity to learn tracking!.

I can't help this but since the 30-30 has taken more game than all other calibers combined (at least thats what I read on the the wiki) then this has to be in someone's collection. Its so ugly and retarded of a consept that I got to get one! I'm just drawn to it.

http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/New/41026.gif

Only a pig could be attracted by that monstrosity.

victor3ranger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are in the market for a bolt action rifle look at the Marlin XL or XS series rifles. They have adjustable triggers, savage type barrels, and with a couple of mods they are awsome shooters for cheap.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
this was covered pretty well in the "best budget rifle" poll. i still lean to the mossberg ATR for an all around simple,affordable package. they are popping in 30-06, 270 and occasionally in 243 in the $225-250 range. save your change and keep your handguns!

Latest posts

Top Bottom