.223 or 7.62x39

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
MoBoost said:
Definition ... Google it and get back with me LOL

Don't get me wrong, you can kill deer (very efficiently) with 223 with proper placement, but it doesn't put it in 308 class, not even close.

So, I can't classify my .06, .308, .338 Lapua as a varmint round because they have killed many varmints?
"Big game" rounds relegated to 7mm and above? I LAWL !

FYI, a varmint round no matter what caliber, refers to the bullet construction in relationship to game its designed to kill.
One can buy varmint rounds for light skinned animals, as well as rounds for tougher skinned animals.
Sierra for example sells a 90 grain HP flatbase bullet in .308 bullet diameter that is billed as a varmint round, the 165, for deer, and the 200 grain solids for African game.
Barnes makes Varmint Grenades for the .223 round, as well as the TTSX rounds for deer.
Its all about the bullet and its placement, and using the proper bullet for the game at hand.
To answer another question, Anybody seen the innards of a deer hit with a .22-250 hit with a .55 grain HP at 4050FPS? I've taken several with my handloads, and I can assure you, its almost as devestating as the Sierra 165 Grain HP from my .06. Not quite, but close. Just jelly left inside.

Last edited:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
So, I can't classify my .06, .308, .338 Lapua as a varmint round because they have killed many varmints?
"Big game" rounds relegated to 7mm and above? I LAWL !

FYI, a varmint round no matter what caliber, refers to the bullet construction in relationship to game its designed to kill.
One can buy varmint rounds for light skinned animals, as well as rounds for tougher skinned animals.
Sierra for example sells a 90 grain HP flatbase bullet in .308 bullet diameter that is billed as a varmint round, the 165, for deer, and the 200 grain solids for African game.
Barnes makes Varmint Grenades for the .223 round, as well as the TTSX rounds for deer.
Its all about the bullet and its placement, and using the proper bullet for the game at hand.
To answer another question, Anybody seen the innards of a deer hit with a .22-250 hit with a .55 grain HP at 4050FPS? I've taken several with my handloads, and I can assure you, its almost as devestating as the Sierra 165 Grain HP from my .06. Not quite, but close. Just jelly left inside.

All of the landowners that I hunt deer on, consider the deer to be vermin. Kind of the like the definition of a weed, any plant that grows where you don't want it. What bullet are you pushing down the tube out of your Lapua?

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bullet construction indeed determines its intended use.
Cartridge case capacity and caliber determines its intended use.
You can modify cartridge performance by changing the bullet, but it doesn't change the original intended use of the cartridge.

Yes, you can shoot prairie dogs with 50 BMG - all it proves is that you can put four people in your truck: it just doesn't make it a sedan.

So, if I can sling-shot a TSX of any caliber at deer's shoulder - I should expect a dead deer, right?

As far as military use - show me a doctrine where 22 cal is used in one-shot-one-kill application and you might have a case, but as far as I know it's not. 5.56 was designed with one purpose in mind - assault rifle. No "go" button, and you are back at its roots - 222: a very well designed varmint/target round.

Please, understand, that I don't condone in any form use of 223 on deer - I think it's fine, I myself have a 223 deer rifle.

All I said, that for the first hunt I'd bring something bigger - more reach, more punch, etc - first time seems to be full of surprises.

Latest posts

Top Bottom