22lr Ruger Vs. 22lr Sig......help me decide

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buy the Ruger. The Sid Mosquito is a pice of you know what - die cast zinc.
Fellas

Need a little help deciding on which pistol to get. Wifey gave the go-a-head to whichever I choose. I know very little about these guns so please opine with what would be your choice and why.

Main use would be to have when I'm out camping, plinking, on a long road trip to have some sort of protection while traveling, etc. Also, as a little sidearm to have to shoot critters while at deer camp.

First is the Ruger KMKlll 22lr with a 5.5" bull barrel in stainless. New with 2 10 round mags and case for approx $434.00.

Next, I wasn't looking for it but it caught my eye.
Sig Sauer Mosquito in 22lr. 3.6" barrel (I think). Stainless slide with composite frame i believe. Now the kicker is that the gun was in the cabinet at the local shop and I thought it was new and then noticed the price was only $249.00. 99% of the people would think it was new just by looking. I believe a NIB would cost close to $400. Only has one mag with no box.

What say you on what to get. I wouldn't have looked at the Sig except for the price. Sorry, 'puter won't let me post pics for some reason.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One thing to consider with the Ruger or most of the nice .22's is finding a holster to carry them in around the camp.

For my b-day last year my FIL got me a real nice leather working kit. I watched him pretty closely build and awesome holster for my High Standard Model B. He also got me a real nice how-to book. Gonna be my first attempt but the goal is to make it myself.

ruger 22/45 all the way , mine has been trouble free for the last 15 years even with various cheap bulk ammo and me being neglectful toward not regularly cleaning it, tear down cleaning may be a little more extensive than other 22lr semi pistols nothing big though ,Im in the same boat with looking at another purchase right now and it looks like a kel-tec pmr30

I held the 22/45 and didn't care for the feel too much. Not the angle but more of the thinness of the grip. THe MKlll felt much better in hand.

Rabbitcreekok

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
For my b-day last year my FIL got me a real nice leather working kit. I watched him pretty closely build and awesome holster for my High Standard Model B. He also got me a real nice how-to book. Gonna be my first attempt but the goal is to make it myself.

I held the 22/45 and didn't care for the feel too much. Not the angle but more of the thinness of the grip. THe MKlll felt much better in hand.

Problem solved.

I know you did not mention the Beretta Neos, but you might take a look at one just for grins. I have two and really like them.

eby42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
By all means get the Ruger. Ruger rimfires are darn hard to beat, and if there's a handgun out there that's more hassle-free fun than my Mk III, I've yet to see it. Mine is the talo distributors one with a 5" bull barrel and hiviz sights.

One caveat:

Just be sure to stock up on anti-psychotic medication before the first attempt at field stripping, lol. There is a high probability of nearby inanimate objects becoming airborne after the fist hundred or so times you get it back together with the little spur in the wrong place so that it won't operate.

There's a "trick" to it, and once you figure it out it isn't terrible....just be sure to research. Can't just tear into it like a Glock or something; the action has to be in just such a state for everything to come apart and go back together functionally.

Latest posts

Top Bottom