26 Nosler

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Shootza 50

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you looked at the Cutting Edge Ballistics Raptor yet?
Yes, I have, might try some next summer when I resume testing again, but they are mighty pricey, so far, the best results have been from Lehigh's 110g Controlled Chaos, but I don't know how fast they are going because my Lab Radar chrono stops at 3900 fps and these are going closer to 4000. Last summer I took a shot at a chuck that ranged out at 1122 yards and just missed him by a couple inches, the gun is heavy enough that I can watch where my impacts are, I was using the Lehigh and hold over was amazingly low and trajectory is incredibly flat, this will probably be my "go to" bullet but I have a few more powders to try. I could use solid bronze or copper "match" bullets but they don't expand, the Lehigh's will still explode well beyond 1700 yards out of this gun. I wanted to build an ultra-long-range gun for varmint hunting in the South Hills of Idaho where it's quite common to get shots on chucks and coyotes at these ranges. I normally use my 26 WSSM out to about 600 yards but I think I'll be liking this tool for the ones way out there once I get the best load for it.

Jack Shootza 50

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you mean 1 in 7.5" or slower? While i haven't had experience in your setup, your results would make me think something is wrong. Maybe im wrong. What velocity are you shooting the Sierra 150 Matchkings at.
Sierra recommends a 1 in 7 1/2" or faster twist for this bullet but they don't say that there is a velocity maximum for it, with my experience I found that to be in the 2900-3000 range with my 7" twist barrel

Jack Shootza 50

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you mean 1 in 7.5" or slower? While i haven't had experience in your setup, your results would make me think something is wrong. Maybe im wrong. What velocity are you shooting the Sierra 150 Matchkings at.
Just over 3000 fps they start to become "unwrapped" Nosler is making a 150g Accu-Bond for this cartridge, but I haven't been able to find any for sale yet.

SimsonSuhl7x65R

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score

Jack Shootza 50

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had most of the info right. 300 Win Mag 212 ELD-X at around 2700 fps. Wildebeest was actually at 160 yds. Recovered bullet pics are towards the bottom of the post. IMHO I would want a tougher bullet
https://www.africahunting.com/threa...ighland-hunting-safaris-sept-3-11-2022.71316/
My inquiry seems to have stirred up some interesting response, I have always wanted to go to the "Dark" continent to hunt but working in an economically diminishing profession precluded that, but I have read many stories and books on the subject, Rourke, Hemingway, Roosevelt, Capstick, Bell, Keith and many more. The closest I came to hunting something that could eat a fellow, was a buddy of mine and myself booked a hunt to Russia to hunt moose and bear (me bear, him moose) but it got canceled because of diminishing political relations with Russia. I'm getting too old to do that anymore (bad knees, can't run fast) But I'm still trying for that moose and maybe another black bear.

SimsonSuhl7x65R

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
My inquiry seems to have stirred up some interesting response, I have always wanted to go to the "Dark" continent to hunt but working in an economically diminishing profession precluded that, but I have read many stories and books on the subject, Rourke, Hemingway, Roosevelt, Capstick, Bell, Keith and many more. The closest I came to hunting something that could eat a fellow, was a buddy of mine and myself booked a hunt to Russia to hunt moose and bear (me bear, him moose) but it got canceled because of diminishing political relations with Russia. I'm getting too old to do that anymore (bad knees, can't run fast) But I'm still trying for that moose and maybe another black bear.
I’m headed to Namibia next year. It’ll be my first time. After that I don’t know when I’ll get to go again.

I’m sorry to hear about your trip to Russia getting canceled. Their refusal to behave themselves has ruined a lot of peoples plans. It looks like an amazing place.

Good luck with your moose and black bear plans!

Latest posts

Top Bottom