260 Load Development

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always pay special attention to my first cold bore shot and always note it in my shooting log. It seems from the comments that most take my comment of shooting clover leafs at 300 yards contrary to hunting somehow. The whole purpose of me constantly shooting and working up new loads is to be a better shooter period. If I'm a better shooter and can make clover leafs at 300 yards then I know I'll be a more proficient hunter also. The two are complimentary, not contrary.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A clover leaf group at 300 yds kind of puts to bed the cold bore problem I would think. If you're worried about a miss on a deer at 300 yds due to cold bore variances I would bet you have other issues besides cold bore. Just my 2 cents.

Get your loads worked up and then try shooting "dot" drills.
Not sure where the cold bore issue came from.....I thought I was discussing loads but it seems to have morphed a little....

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure where the cold bore issue came from.....I thought I was discussing loads but it seems to have morphed a little....

I'm not sure either. Just continue what you're doing and work up a good load that produces the accuracy/MV you're looking for. Any type shooting you do be it group shooting or steel shooting is better than no shooting.

I don't know if this will be helpful but maybe you'll find a gem in it.
https://forum.snipershide.com/forum...-s-hide-reloading-depot/6252739-260-remington

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK guys. I have one question. When are you ever going to shoot a clover leaf group on a deer at 300 yards? I don't think so. I build rifles as a hobby and what you need to look for is placing the bullet where you want it on a cold bore. One shot one kill. Now if you were shooting competition, shooting clover leafs at 300 yards is great.

Lets see....never. If Slas gains confidence in his abilities and equipment by trying to shoot clover leaf groups at 300yds I say more power to him. I've had cold bore one shot kills at 427yds and 712yds on antelope in Colorado and an 847yd cold bore kill on an antelope decoy. I achieved the confidence in doing so by trying to shoot small groups at distance as well as banging steel at further distances. Even with your Surgeon and its reputation, it wouldn't be any good, cold bore flyer or not if one cannot shoot strait.

Sorry Slas, don't mean to hijack you thread.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lets see....never. If Slas gains confidence in his abilities and equipment by trying to shoot clover leaf groups at 300yds I say more power to him. I've had cold bore one shot kills at 427yds and 712yds on antelope in Colorado and an 847yd cold bore kill on an antelope decoy. I achieved the confidence in doing so by trying to shoot small groups at distance as well as banging steel at further distances. Even with your Surgeon and its reputation, it wouldn't be any good, cold bore flyer or not if one cannot shoot strait.

Sorry Slas, don't mean to hijack you thread.
No problem, you make my point exactly. I'm sure you didn't get that accurate by NOT practicing at shooting small groups at long distances.

Rhino 55

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was the one who brought the cold bore discussion into this. When I Shot on the Navy Rifle team. We used Remington 513 T or Winchester 52B to practice/gain confidence in our shooting at 100 yards. It cost less and the 22LR is not forgiving to mistakes. Shooting a 22LR at 100 yards is like shooting a 308 at 600 yards

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seems I'm always so busy shooting the bigger calibers I never think to go try my hand at 100 yards with the 22. I thought about putting a little scope on it but now I'll have to go give it a try before hand....Just picked up a used spotting scope I need to try out and that would be a good test, finding those tiny holes with it....

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tried to find some Nosler Accubonds in 130/140 grain locally over the weekend with no luck, also some H4350. The guy at Bass Pro said they just had two cases when he came out from checking. I ended up getting some Hornady 140 grain SST's. Still have a few of the Berger 130's I'll keep working with also. Trying to stock up but looks like locally there's not much there, the shelves are still empty in the 6.5 areas, must be all those damn Creedmoore guys.....lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom