3 Gun? What Shotgun Do You Use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

93 FOX

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seen alot of the guys in video using auto's. Just wondering who uses auto's and who uses a pump. So, brand and model on what shotty you shoot in 3 gun?

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For most 3-gun Benellis rule! M1, M2. Only 2 top 3-gunners use anything but Benelli one is an old 1100 on it's 8th set of parts and the other is an Fn SLP.

For Heavy Metal division, once again Benelli, Novas and Super Novas. Not one top Heavy Metal shooter uses a Remington 870...not one!

It will be interesting to see what everyone else chimes in with, the last time a 3-gun specific question was asked it was answered by a whole bunch of folks that never 3-gun, and all of them said get an 870...which no-one uses, cause they just aren't competitive. KurtM

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For most 3-gun Benellis rule! M1, M2. Only 2 top 3-gunners use anything but Benelli one is an old 1100 on it's 8th set of parts and the other is an Fn SLP.

For Heavy Metal division, once again Benelli, Novas and Super Novas. Not one top Heavy Metal shooter uses a Remington 870...not one!

It will be interesting to see what everyone else chimes in with, the last time a 3-gun specific question was asked it was answered by a whole bunch of folks that never 3-gun, and all of them said get an 870...which no-one uses, cause they just aren't competitive. KurtM
Honest question here. What makes them not competitive? I just bought one on the cheap to try in HM. And later on I plan on a FN or M1/M2.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use a Benelli Nova and love it. It does slow me down. I don't shoot heavy metal so I am "competing" against auto shotguns. But to say that I "compete" isn't accurate. I do it to have fun.

I do like my Benelli Nova and I got it used. I've looked at the FN SLP but for me, I have better things to spend my money on.

This is all my opinion. If I had the money, I would DEFINITELY get a Benelli M1 or M2 or whatever. They are a blast to shoot! I do like how my Nova's lifter stays up when reloading.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use a Benelli Nova and love it. It does slow me down. I don't shoot heavy metal so I am "competing" against auto shotguns. But to say that I "compete" isn't accurate. I do it to have fun.

I do like my Benelli Nova and I got it used. I've looked at the FN SLP but for me, I have better things to spend my money on.

This is all my opinion. If I had the money, I would DEFINITELY get a Benelli M1 or M2 or whatever. They are a blast to shoot! I do like how my Nova's lifter stays up when reloading.

Now that's an interesting little tidbit.
+1 on the fun. I won't be beating very many folks at all. But it will be fun.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shadowrider, they are not competitive for all the reasons I have posted many times and have been told by all (870 lovers/tactical crowd) that I just don't know what I am talking about, and yet I never see any of these folks out shooting let alone competing and teaching all over the world.

Readers Digest version cause I am sick of re-posting all this stuff.

Hard to load and almost imposible to round and deburr the feed area so it will always be harder to load and tear up thumbs and shells compaired to any Nova.

They like to break, and jam, and take two pumps to load one shell. They like to stick any shell that isn't high brass and is very finicky as to ammo. The shell cutoff tabs like to come unstaked and this cause it,s own brand of malfunctions whern pumping at speed. The 870 like many guns out there is a good enough gun untill you really start to use it a lot, and the folks that love them shoot maybe a few hundred rounds a year slow fire and call them good, heck that isn't even a good practice session for an action shotgunner or 3-gunner...but like I said everyone ( all the 870 folks and tactical guys ) will tell me I am wrong so use this for what it,s worth. Kurt Miller

Latest posts

Top Bottom