.300 Blackout Questions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anything but 5.56 in AR-15 is a gimmick .... they were designed for each other (basically) from scratch and for a purpose.

All other chamberings will do just fine in a bolt gun for half the price and double the accuracy.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the only reason i would want a 300 blackout is for a SBR setup running suppressed subsonic. I think that's where it shines.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a fan of the .300 Blackout. However, I don't see it replacing 5.56/.223 anytime soon, nor should it. It has different applications.

What makes .300 Blk attractive over other alternative calibers for the AR platform is the cost to play is minimal and the return in investment is huge. Basically all you need is a different barrel. You use the same bolt and mags.

Also, the recoil is very similar to 5.56. It impulses a little harder, but the muzzle rise is about the same. Where .300 blk shines is in SBRs. The round was made for that. Even in short 7.5" barrels, the rounds still achieves about 90% efficiency and less powder is unburnt. Cleaner system to run and cleaner and easier on your suppressors. The subsonic rounds suppressed are about the quietest rounds you can shoot outside of .22lr and at 220gr they hit pretty hard.

The best part of .300 blk is that the system was also designed to use the same gas system for both supersonic 110gr rounds and 220 gr subsonic rounds with no adjustments. You don't have to fiddle with adjustable gas systems or worry about gas pressure. If your rifle is built correctly, it will cycle both supersonic and subsonic no problems.

A lot of the critics will say that there's no need, since we have 7.62x39. The problem is that 7.62x39 doesn't consistently run reliably in the AR platform. Sure there's people who have AR's that are 100% running 7.62x39, but that's not the case across the board. Second, 7.62x39 requires new mags and new bolt. With .300 blk, you use the same mags and same bolt and keep the same capacity. Last, the beauty of .300 blackout is the ability to shoot supersonic and subsonic rounds out of the same rifle with the same gas system run reliably out of an SBR. I'm sure someone could or does make custom subsonic 220gr 7.62x39 ammo, but I would imagine the price to be more expensive for those type of rounds than what even .300 blk is going for.

I know a lot of skeptics who don't like 6.5 or 6.8 for the AR's. They also hated the concept of .300 blk, until they actually spent a day with it. It's one of those rounds that once you spend a day shooting it, you instantly "get it" and love it.

If you feel like watching a vid. Here's a recent video of Travis Haley talking about the .300 blk. He talks about the drop, energy and you can also see him consistently nail a steel target 750m away with a .300 blk SBR rifle using only a red dot, heh.

Last edited by a moderator:

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anything but 5.56 in AR-15 is a gimmick .... they were designed for each other (basically) from scratch and for a purpose.

All other chamberings will do just fine in a bolt gun for half the price and double the accuracy.

I don't agree with the "gimmick" part.
I own a 300BLK AR and I really like it. It was also about half the cost of a bolt action rifle because all I had to do was buy the upper. The lower, BCG, CH and Mags from a standard AR work on a blackout.

It is useful for me since I do run suppressed, but if I didn't, it would still be very handy for hunting. The bottom line is that it has pretty good ballistics, uses existing parts, and Remington makes cheap ammo for it. ($12/box)

WideLoadTimmy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
See, the hunting thing is what interests me. I want to be able to use the same rifle for multiple things and the AR platform seems to be the best choice for that. Would I be better served with the .300blk or do you guys think one of the other calibers would be better for hunting?

MoBoost - I want to get a bolt gun but that will come later. I'm looking at a Remington 700 or a Savage for that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom