308 Rifle Suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolf44

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whuts ur budget? or expectation is the main objective.......

Agree with many above - Savage tends to yield a good trunk/bush gun with good OTBx accuracy, and the trigger is a nice perk. The Remy's seem to be hit or miss, but the 700 action is something that can be blueprinted/trued down the road if seeking top accuracy.

Tikka or Ruger.

IF you want one and done - for a lifetime = GAP, Beanland, SAC, Gradous, APA, Louisiana Precision, AI , surgeon......

OPTICS = Vortex, Bushy Elite Tact., Steiner, Kahles, USO, NF, SWFA SuperSniper, Henny, Burris??, Nikon??

Bigjoe.45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a general rule I am a Rem 700 guy. With that said, I bought my son a Howa/Weatherby vanguard heavy barrel and have been really impressed. Accuracy has been fantastic, fit and finish are great and one of the best points is there are several 10 round magazine conversions in the $100 range as opposed to the $300 range as with Remy's. The version we bought already has a detachable mag and run about $700 new (Less than the stock on my Rem).
vanguard.jpg

gunlovinokie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just want a simple(ish) deer rifle. Most shots, ive read about/heard about, happen within 100 yards. TBH, i would like two 308's. One for four legs...one for...ehhhh let's just say...not so many ;o)

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think you may only need one really good one.
Took my .308 out yesterday and had a buddy shoot it at 300 yards. He never shot anything at 100 yards much less 300 until yesterday and he got a 1.5" group from my savage 10fp at 300 yards.. 3 shot group.. He was so exited. Giggling like a school girl.

I did some math and my 168 match king load in the .308 drops way way more than my 155Amax load from my 30-06. 30" more drop at 600 yards.
Nothing to worry about if you know how to make the long shot.

If you get 2 guns you will need to develop the accuracy skills and loads for both guns.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My choice would be a used Remington 700 or Ruger 77 - the older the better. I like Leupold scopes and the VX-I @ $200 is a good scope. You can always upgrade later if you really get into deer hunting. For some reason good used .308 rifles seem harder to find than other calibers.

Good Luck!

Cedar Creek

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here are my 308's. Both Remingtons. R-25, and 700 with some work done to it. If you told me that my shots were going to be anywhere from 0 to 500 yards, I would be comfortable picking up either one of them. Over 500 yds, I'd go for the 700. From what you have said above, the semi-auto would do you well for 4 legged and less creatures.
image.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom