338 ultra mag vs. 338 win mag

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
338 win mag. Been around forever and you can walk in to most any gunshop/walmart and buy a box. I've had one 30+ years shot my first deer with it at 350 yards in Colo.

HiPower

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might want to consider a .338-06, which is done by necking a .30-06 case up to .338 diameter. MUCH easier on the shoulder than any of the magnums.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Don't really know much firsthand about the two calibers you are looking at, and also not trying to hijack your thread, but have you ruled out 300 win completely? Bullets would be cheaper and in the 200 grain range they would perform very nicely at the stated range goals.

kpk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't really know much firsthand about the two calibers you are looking at, and also not trying to hijack your thread, but have you ruled out 300 win completely? Bullets would be cheaper and in the 200 grain range they would perform very nicely at the stated range goals.

I agree. Cheap, abundant ammo too.

sharkbait

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go shoot 20 rounds of each and your shoulder will decide to buy neither. I have shot lots of deer with 270's and 22-250's and they never ran more than a few steps.

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Regarding the 300 Win Mag, I agree with this. I shoot a 180gn out of it and have flattened elk at 400yds w/o any problems.

Latest posts

Top Bottom