357 sig? part 2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
HK

usp compact or P2000

that was easy If Sports World doesn't have em in stock they will order it for ya.

Evan

Those are nice too, as are the SIGs...

I bought a P229 when they first came out with the 357SIG caliber and I bought it with an extra factory .40S&W barrel.
When switching directly back and forth between them I noticed that the .40 had noticeably more muzzle flip than the 357SIG did, even with the milder 165gr Gold Dot loads vs. the 125gr 357 Gold Dot loads. The same thing was true of the P226 I bought later.

Then....after I rented a G32 and compared shooting it against my P226, I thought the G32 was significantly more controllable than the SIG.
I could shoot it much faster, and so I picked one up for daily carry.
(now carry a G23)

When comparing the G23 and the G32, there doesn't seem to be that much of a huge difference as there was between either the 40 vs. 357 in the P229/226 platforms or the Glock vs. SIG comparison test.
Things start to change tho' when you get into some of the boutique loads like Double Tap, etc.

I like both the .40S&W and 357SIG, but ultimately it came down to ammo cost and availability....the .40 wins that one.
Nowadays the 357SIG round is more available but I remember when you couldn't even find it at WalMart or anywhere else for that matter for the longest time...

tmotulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ive noticed an increase in the 357 sig available at walmart. that is part of what prompted me to want one. the only thing i see on the shelves now are rifle, shotgun, occasionally 9mm and 357 sig. i never find anything else. and its not that much more expensive that the other bigger calibers. about the same as 40 and a little more than 45

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Glock 32. period.

I have 31 and 32 love both.I used to have a 33 but there is a significant increase in muzzle blast from a 26 with not much gain over the best 9mm.Stick with the 32 for carry.I like the 125 grain ammo both in practice and self defense loads. Steve

BTW,hope you never have to use it indoors because the 357 Sig is WAY LOUD!!

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Barstro makes a custom .357 sig barrel for the 1911 platform. It seems that if you already own a 1911 in .40, all that would need to be done is to purchase one of the aforementioned barrels, have it fitted to your gun, drop it in, and go.

That's not neccessarily true..... of the few .357sig 1911s I've seen.... all had timing issues.

To the OP, Glock 32 for me.... and I've owned several Sigs and H&Ks... good guns, they just weren't for me.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's not neccessarily true..... of the few .357sig 1911s I've seen.... all had timing issues.

To the OP, Glock 32 for me.... and I've owned several Sigs and H&Ks... good guns, they just weren't for me.

I have only seen two 1911's in 357SIG. Mine, Kimber alloy Pro Carry originally in 40 and the Kimber Custom Shop made the 357SIG barrel for it before the gun left the factory, never a timing problem. The other belonged to Harry at Banner Road/Canadian Valley Gun range. Ed Brown built a government model for him and he never had any problems with it either. Now, having said all that I personally don't trust Barsto, had major problem with them, not a 1911 but something simple. JMHO.

Iwant1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.357 sig with so much velocity and small diameter will bring an extreme amount of penetration resulting in over penetration. The easier and faster a bullet leaves (exits) is target the more power you lose! Law Enforcement may be different because they may need penetration in more cases than Self-Defense. You can have too much "power"

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
.357 sig with so much velocity and small diameter will bring an extreme amount of penetration resulting in over penetration. The easier and faster a bullet leaves (exits) is target the more power you lose! Law Enforcement may be different because they may need penetration in more cases than Self-Defense. You can have too much "power"

That's what people used to say about 357 mag.With modern bullet design,over penertration is not a problem. Steve

Iwant1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not sure what kind of testing you've done, but the .357 Mag has a huge amount of power and extreme penetration. Ever heard that a ".357 mag will shoot through an engine block!" Although that isn't true, its idea is, in that it has a large amount of penetration, more than the average human body(center mass) can hold. Same with 9mm and they are very close in diameter except the .357 mag has more powder and heavier bullets which cause even more penetration.