357 sig? part 2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

man of many calibers

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.357 sig with so much velocity and small diameter will bring an extreme amount of penetration resulting in over penetration. The easier and faster a bullet leaves (exits) is target the more power you lose! Law Enforcement may be different because they may need penetration in more cases than Self-Defense. You can have too much "power"

Not an issue with the correct ammo.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure what kind of testing you've done, but the .357 Mag has a huge amount of power and extreme penetration. Ever heard that a ".357 mag will shoot through an engine block!" Although that isn't true, its idea is, in that it has a large amount of penetration, more than the average human body(center mass) can hold. Same with 9mm and they are very close in diameter except the .357 mag has more powder and heavier bullets which cause even more penetration.

I don't think it's as big a problem as you think. Millions of LEO's carried .357 Magnum revolvers for many, many years. They only fell out of favor because the "Wonder Nines" came along and the rest is history...

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have only seen two 1911's in 357SIG. Mine, Kimber alloy Pro Carry originally in 40 and the Kimber Custom Shop made the 357SIG barrel for it before the gun left the factory, never a timing problem. The other belonged to Harry at Banner Road/Canadian Valley Gun range. Ed Brown built a government model for him and he never had any problems with it either. Now, having said all that I personally don't trust Barsto, had major problem with them, not a 1911 but something simple. JMHO.

Are you the guy that carried that on your hip walking around H&H? I'm not saying it can't be done..... far from. The point is that a caliber change on a 1911 isn't usually just as easy as barrel swap.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.357 sig with so much velocity and small diameter will bring an extreme amount of penetration resulting in over penetration. The easier and faster a bullet leaves (exits) is target the more power you lose! Law Enforcement may be different because they may need penetration in more cases than Self-Defense. You can have too much "power"

I'm not sure what kind of testing you've done, but the .357 Mag has a huge amount of power and extreme penetration. Ever heard that a ".357 mag will shoot through an engine block!" Although that isn't true, its idea is, in that it has a large amount of penetration, more than the average human body(center mass) can hold. Same with 9mm and they are very close in diameter except the .357 mag has more powder and heavier bullets which cause even more penetration.

Sorry but that's not exactly accurate.

Bullet design construction plays a very important role.
Simply saying 357SIG (or Magnum) has too much penetration is making a blanket generalization which only proves to be accurate when using a specific load tailored for that desired result.

okie98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you already have a 1911, all you need is a .38 super top unit and you have it made. It always amazes me that it only took 80 years or so for them to come up with a cartridge to duplicate the power of the old 38 super.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

What testing have you done on the .357sig that shows extreme overpenetration?