45-70...Not what I had planned to get.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So, I put up for sale my long range rig, since in the two years I have had it I have shot past 200 yards once..... The plan was to sell it and build a sweet 300 BLK AR. Well.... I was contacted by a guy of Armslist who wanted my rifle, but had to sell one of his first. He had a deal pending, it fell through, he told me what it was, I told him I have always wanted one of those, but that it wasn't what I was looking for right now. He kept sweetening the deal until I gave in....

So, tell me how I did, I got a Pre Remington Marlin 45-70 Guide gun, plus some extras and some cash.

Don't have a lot of ammo, but I do have a lot of brass. So next stop is figuring out a load for it. Then I still have to build a Blackout once my scope sells....

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Never owned a lever gun, but that is one I've been looking at in the .45-70 or the .460.

You got a nice rifle.

My dad has always been a fan of the "big bores" he has a 444 Marlin, 44 Mag Super Blackhawk, 10 inch barrel with a scope, and a single shot 45-70.... Guess I can blame him for why I have always wanted a cannon to call my own....

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Got many, many loads.......from trapdoor to Ruger No.1 and in between (your rifle), let me know if you need some to start with.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is NICE! I love those stainless lever actions, especially American made. My only experience with the .45-70 is out of my 1873 Springfield "trapdoor" carbine which is far milder than modern .45-70. I've heard that ballistically it's very close to a .50 Beowulf, which I do have, so it'll sure put the hurt on any deer you come across this fall.

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine likes the 300gr Speer (what I could find at the time) and a max load of imr 4895 (what I had that would work). Buddy used 300gr serria with 3031 I think with good results

Sent via message in a bottle

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You probably already know what I'm gonna say, but just in case I'll say it anyway. Get you some Goex FFg. You'll never regret it.

The only smokeless powders I've shot in my Buff Classic are Varget, Accurate 5744, and TrailBoss. The 5744 and TrailBoss gave very good results, the Varget not so much. TrailBoss will allow you to build some very mild plinking loads that won't kill your shoulder. 5744 can push pretty hard, maybe not max loads, but at least a good level 2 load.

Latest posts

Top Bottom