45-70...Not what I had planned to get.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unbelievable power in that round, I couldn't imagine shooting a .45-120
I did that once, from a Shiloh Sharps. There are only three things wrong with it--the rifle cost a LOT more than I could afford at the time, the rounds cost a heck of a lot (and had to be hand-loaded), and it made me want one. :( The guy who owned it bought it not long after Quigley Down Under came out; there was already a multi-year waiting list, so he spent a couple of months calling gun shops in Wyoming and Montana 'til he found the rifle for sale and bought it, sight unseen.

The brass on the .45-120 was three inches long, and, IIRC, each one was hand-turned. I want to say that they were something like $5 each, but that was over 20 years ago...and I still want one...

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
3 1/4 of smokeless frustration = 45-120 lol! Not enough improvement over the 4570 with smokeless IMO......now with some elephant ffg and some 500-630gr cast, it's worth it!

fatcpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a Marlin 1895GBL a few months ago. It's a Remlin, but I guess I got a decent one. The fit and finish is not perfect, but it's not bad. I get a kick out of shooting it (literally). I've shot several store bought loads, but am now mainly shooting reloads with 405 gr bullets from Missour Bullet and J&K. I bought a Lyman mould and have cast a bunch of 405 grain flatnose of my own. You'd be amazed at how much lead you can go through in no time casting 405 grain bullets. I'm still experimenting with different powders and messing with different lubricants for my cast bullets. I have a Skinner ghost ring sight on mine with a real small insert. 100 yards is the outside limit for my old eyes, but I still have fun shooting it. If you don't want to beat your shoulder up you can load way down with Trail Boss.

Latest posts

Top Bottom