.45 GAP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So what does .45 GAP do better than .45 ACP?

With my Glock 38 I can carry 8+1 .45 hole punchers in the same (basically) carry profile as a my Glock 19. Either will work against a threat. Plus, to me anyhow, odd ball calibers are kind of appealing or “neat.”

As far as ballistics, there isn’t any advantage. However for IDPA, CCP division must have at least 125 power factor and you’re limited to 8 rounds in the mag. The .45 GAP could be downloaded to almost nil recoil and still probably make PF due to the 230 grain bullet weight.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are many stories about the GAP. The most frequent comment from those who don’t care for it is,

“A solution to a problem that didn’t exist”

The 45 GAP comes in three models. 37, 38 & 39. Full size, compact and subcompact. When it first came out, Glock made some good deals for police agencies. NYSP, Pennsylvania State Police and Florida HP are just a few that I can remember.

The Glock 37 uses a frame that is the same size as the Glock 17. The slide is wider, almost the same size as the Glock 21 in 45 ACP. It uses 10 round magazines which also adds to the appeal of those living in ban states.

For us reloaders, GAP brass is the same length as the 9mm and uses a small pistol primer. ACP dies can be used to load it with simple adjustments. The bullet diameter is the same as the ACP. Load data is almost equal to that of the ACP.

Some say that it was Gaston Glock’s ego that led to the creation of the cartridge. He wanted more than just a gun named after him. Only he knows for sure.

The fun part of the GAP is when I shoot it at a match. Someone will pick it up and get that funny confused look on their face thinking “what the heck is this”. It usually doesn’t take long for them to find out who shot it and it comes back to me. One of my friends at the club brought some back three months after a match smiling and cussing because it had a small primer and he didn’t notice till he tried to reload it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom