50 Little soldiers formed up in ranks. . .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I got my first 50 loaded today. Took me almost 2 hours, but I was doing it in batch(i.e. priming all 50, then weighing each measure on all 50, then seating all 50). I don't really care how long it took me anyways, it was neat doing it for the first time.

A few questions though. I imagine this will be more for the reload batch instead of the load batch. I'm going to go ahead and ask them anyway.

Q-1: Is it better to just bypass using new brass cases if they have small nicks in them? I am using brand new Remington brass, but I noticed that a few had tiny "dents" in the brass. I would more than likely not use them if they were fired, just in case one split, but are they okay in new brass with the normal case thickness?

Q-2: When seating primers, how vital is it that it be seated below the primer pocket? It said in the Lyman manual that they should be .003-.004 below the face of the case. I ended up having some that were just a few thousandths out(just enough to rotate in the calipers really). I'm not using these in anything semi-auto, it's all going into a bolt action, but I just wanted to ask to make sure.

Q-3: What is the best case lube(i.e. anything other than this Lee crap). I had sized all of the shells since some of the mouths were out of circularity and let them sit for a little while, and when I went to wipe the Lee stuff off it was like removing wax. I know I should have just done it while I was sizing them, but I didn't.

I've read good stuff about Hornady One-Shot, like you don't have to remove it, it doesn't hurt the case if it gets on or in the neck as long as you let it dry first. Are these fairly accurate?

Thanks for the continued help and support in my new hobby! I'm looking forward to getting something in a pistol caliber with carbide dies now.

ai633.photobucket.com_albums_uu51_JRSherman_Outdoors_IMG_2405.jpg

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Small dings are not a problem, at least I have never had one.

Seat the primer at least flush with the case head. You might get away with a high primer, or you may not but it is better to be safe.

As for lube, I have used the Lee for years because I have never had a stuck case with it. Others I have tried while easier have given me stuck cases. I do wipe the Lee off right after resizing.

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Q-1: Is it better to just bypass using new brass cases if they have small nicks in them? I am using brand new Remington brass, but I noticed that a few had tiny "dents" in the brass. I would more than likely not use them if they were fired, just in case one split, but are they okay in new brass with the normal case thickness?

I don't worry about small dings. Big dents especially around the shoulder area and you might not use them. Most of the small dings will more than likley get pushed out by the pressure. Now cracks especially in the neck area are something to worry about as well.

Q-2: When seating primers, how vital is it that it be seated below the primer pocket? It said in the Lyman manual that they should be .003-.004 below the face of the case. I ended up having some that were just a few thousandths out(just enough to rotate in the calipers really). I'm not using these in anything semi-auto, it's all going into a bolt action, but I just wanted to ask to make sure.

I use a Lee hand primer. I put the brass case in and squeeze the handle until it feels pretty stout. I have never measured the primer seat depth. No problems as of yet.

Q-3: What is the best case lube(i.e. anything other than this Lee crap). I had sized all of the shells since some of the mouths were out of circularity and let them sit for a little while, and when I went to wipe the Lee stuff off it was like removing wax. I know I should have just done it while I was sizing them, but I didn't.

I have used the Lee stuff, Hornady One-Shot and Emperial sizing wax. However, I have moved on to Dillion Spray Lube. The only one that I didn't experience a stuck case with is the Emperial but you have to hand apply it to every case since it is a wax. I single-stage load everything and really love the Dillon lube!! Not bad on price either and last a long time if you don't overuse it.

Bullets look nice!!! Hope they all go bang, nothing bad happens, and they group well!!

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All the brass you throw away, can I have? Keep it in a gallon ziplock bag and I'll come get it every time it is full.

Thanks for your extremely helpful addition of knowledge to my day and a half of reloading Dustin. And no, I'll just toss it in the garbage so I don't have problems sleeping at night. . .

Small dings are not a problem, at least I have never had one.

Seat the primer at least flush with the case head. You might get away with a high primer, or you may not but it is better to be safe.

As for lube, I have used the Lee for years because I have never had a stuck case with it. Others I have tried while easier have given me stuck cases. I do wipe the Lee off right after resizing.

Thanks for the real input Rick. I was using the hand held primer loader to prime them, I'll have to go ahead and use the press mounted one on the next run and see if that helps. It was only 1 shell out of the 50, but I don't really care for Mr. Murphy and chance either.

Is there any faster way to use the Lee case lube? I was using it on a lube pad but it doesn't seem to last long, unless I'm just worrying it too much and using too much per case. I just don't want to get a stuck case, I've seen some of the aftermath trying to get one out.

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks VDub, you replied while I was typing. I was using the Lee hand primer, like I said above as well, I might have just not pressed hard enough on that one. I'll have to look into the Dillon spray. Didn't realize they had any on the market.

Hopefully I'll get out this weekend and do some shooting and we'll see.

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're welcome. Walmart is having a sale on Midol, you might pick up a bottle or three. Maybe even a dustbuster with the crevice tool.

I'll try not to miss it! Just make sure you hit the bra and panty sale at JC Penny's next week. I hear the plus sizes will even be cheaper, so you'll get double savings. :thumb:

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nah, I wasn't really that fussed about it honestly. Just one of those internet thangs, can't really gauge the sarcasm. I got nothing against you either way man.

Latest posts

Top Bottom