.577 T-rex rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strawdog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im sure its upwards of 60lbs of recoil, ive fired alot of the larger African calibers but havent heard about the 577 T-Rex. I did look up how much 10 pieces of brass cost and 120.00 per 10 is a little much for brass. Oh if you do shoot anything like that id shoot it standing up and not off a bench, standing up your body takes part of the recail and you also need to get use to using these 9lbs+ rifles in standing positions. Ill have to do some more research on this cartridge looking at the brass i see it has slight bottleneck, id like to know what the pressure is and what sort of velocites it makes?

Strawdog

strawdog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with the write up from the link that its alittle overkill on both ends, the last paragraph especially. First what was it a 15lbs rifle... thats exactly what i want to be lugging around the bush in Africa. 65,000psi for the .577 is pretty standard for Magnum rounds as such(458 Lott =64,200psi +/-). My main negitive is that bigger sometimes is not better or really needed. I think many of the other large African/Safari Calibers are just fine for Dangerous game like Buffalo and Elephant like the 500 Jeffery, 460 Wby 458 Lott ext... I will also say i like strait wall rounds due to the fact that they can be trimmed down for many differant chamberings and the 405 is still a favorite for lion and large cats. I want a rifle i can swing easy for these animals. Just my 2 pennies

Strawdog

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
During one of my tours in Germany, where I worked, the Forestmiester on our site was a big game hunter. Had traveled to Africa, Alaska, an Canada to shoot all the big critters. His prized possesion was a H&H 4bore rifle. He didn't shoot it much, as most of his hunting had been done with a 9.3. No I never got to shoot it, but did get to hold it, and look at the ammunition. I'll pass on shooting too. The rifle had to weigh in at around 20lbs, and a 4bore looks more like light artillery, than rifle ammo.

Latest posts

Top Bottom