6.5 Grendel barrel group buy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrBaker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe. Got to dome reading on it tonight.

Do you use 6.5mm bullets like standard Swede? How does it compare to the 6.8s?

After a little bit of noobie research I see that you can get 10-15 uses out of a quality piece of brass. 7.62x39 brass can be resized to work with this, but is a good bit of work. Any of the .264 bullets such as the 6.5 swede will work as long as they are somewhere in the 90-130gr area.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
6.8 is a little more of a manstopper at closer ranges and is easier on barrels; they are limited on bullet choices. 6.5 shines at long range.
If I were to do a 6.5 vs. 6.8 comparson, which this thread isnt about, Id look at cost and availability of reloading components, and let that decide for me.

I don't mind a discussion about this. In fact, I think more people need to know.

I see no evidence that 6.8 is a better manstopper, at any range. Everything I can conclude from shows that 6.5G is better than 6.8 comparing any characteristic. I'm definitely open to further research on the matter.

I plan on reloading 6.5G. Quality brass and bullets are easy to get. And if you don't reload, or want to shoot a lot, Wolf makes bulk 6.5G ammo. My 6.5G will most likely not be a high round count rifle, so I'm not worried about anything concerning that.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tanks for the links. I will be looking into it tonight and tomorrow. Reloading will not be a problem and if Wolf loads for it is a +.

DrBaker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I assume most folks are running these in a .308 suppressor? It looks like the YHM Phantom 308 I have my eye on can be purchased with a FH for the Grendel thread pitch.

The .308 cans are being used with good results for this caliber. So far nobody has a subsonic load that will cycle an AR. I haven't had a 5.56 sub that would do it either.

kpk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I started reading about the 6.8 spc and fell into some good info on the 6.5G. It seems to me also that the 6.5G is a far superior load. I'd like a barrel!

1 - YukonGlocker
1 - 264Magnum
1 - bettingpython (16")
1 - DrBaker (maybe)
1 - KPK (haven't decided on length)

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
6.5 grendel has better ballistic coeffecient than the 6.8 spc. It carries more down range energy than the 6.8, I was wishing I already had one this weekend my only clear shot was 350yds. Didn't feel comfortable trying that with .223

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm thinking with Christmas coming up, we should order in January, which is next month. That would give everyone plenty of time to come up with the money. Anyone opposed to that?

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1 - YukonGlocker
1 - 264Magnum
1 - bettingpython (16")
1 - DrBaker (maybe)
1 - kpk (haven't decided on length)
1 - Scott_In_OKC 18" w/beadblasting
1 - paul0731