6.5 x 55 Swede loads?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just bought a Model 96 and am getting ready to load for it.

Any pet loads? Any cautions? One of my books has two sections, one for surplus rifles and one for modern commercial actions, and the loads are pretty different. CB

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have everything I need to load for the Swede but haven't done so yet. From my reading it is one of the most forgiving rounds out there with loads from 90gr up to like 160gr. From what I have read, Lapua brass is the most accurate since it is dimensionally correct to the Swede and not a reformed American case. Reloader 22 seems to be a popular powder since it is similar to the old Norma stuff in the military ammo. I think you're gonna like your M96. I have a couple M38s (one sported and rebarreled but still 6.5x55 and the other a numbers matching original). I want an M94 something fierce but the problem is, so does everyone else.

I moved a few months ago and have not setup my reloading stuff yet but I would be very interested in what others have come up with for the Swede.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I want an M94 something fierce but the problem is, so does everyone else.

You mean something like this? :)

i738.photobucket.com_albums_xx29_Perplexed0_Misc_M94_a.jpg

I really need to start reloading for the 6.5 Swede round, myself. Sigh.

willystruck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I loaded quite a few rounds several years ago for my 96 custom sporter. (Yea I bastardized an original 96)
Remington cases, 140 grain Barnes X, 47 gr IMR 4831, Fed 210M primer. Consistantly groups under 1" at 100 yds. Deadly on Deer.

This load works for me in my rifle. Please start at least 10% lower and use common sense.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You are cruel. Is that 94 yours?!?

Yep - one of the rare ones that escaped the 1914 conversion that included the replacement of the original muzzle caps to the ones with the integral bayonet lug. I really wasn't interested in the Model 1894 to begin with, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to acquire an unconverted example.

To the OP, definitely stick with the milsurp loads, and as mentioned, start low and build up.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep - one of the rare ones that escaped the 1914 conversion that included the replacement of the original muzzle caps to the ones with the integral bayonet lug. I really wasn't interested in the Model 1894 to begin with, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to acquire an unconverted example.

To the OP, definitely stick with the milsurp loads, and as mentioned, start low and build up.

I would really enjoy seeing that rifle in person!

Latest posts

Top Bottom