6.8 SPC AR-15 for Deer.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vooduchikn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A human hit anywhere with a .223 might not kill him but he is down

Oh I don't know about that. Ask the boys in fighting in the Iraq and Afghanistan about shooting insurgents with 5.56 and then having then hear stories about watching them either run off/shoot back or both. Adrenaline is an amazing chemical and 5.56 non-expanding bullets don't help the cause much.

As far as the comment on the big buck @ 250 yards, the 6.8SPCII will easily smoke a deer out past 300 yds with good shot placement and proper bullet selection; something required from all firearms when taking game. Hogs don't fare well either against 6.8, especially with a suppressor (supersonic ammo) and a 30 round magazine at range.

I personally wasn't a fan until I built one for my father (16" Wilson combat match grade). The accuracy was sub-MOA, 5 shots measured out at .43 at 100 yards with factory Hornaday 110 SST ammo and that's with my sorry butt on the bench. It was still sub MOA at 200 yards.

6.8 SPC II also does very well from short barrels which is my next project, an 11.3" barrel. Is 6.8 SPC Optimum? No, but it easily fills the void between 5.56 and 7.62 in an AR pattern rifle. That being said, I own 5.56 and .300BLK and each has its purpose.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh I don't know about that. Ask the boys in fighting in the Iraq and Afghanistan about shooting insurgents with 5.56 and then having then hear stories about watching them either run off/shoot back or both. Adrenaline is an amazing chemical and 5.56 non-expanding bullets don't help the cause much.
Here in lies the problem in the bolded part. Shame they can't use an Amax or Barnes for penetration and expansion. Not so many would run away.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

As far as the comment on the big buck @ 250 yards, the 6.8SPCII will easily smoke a deer out past 300 yds with good shot placement and proper bullet selection; something required from all firearms when taking game. Hogs don't fare well either against 6.8, especially with a suppressor (supersonic ammo) and a 30 round magazine at range.

I personally wasn't a fan until I built one for my father (16" Wilson combat match grade). The accuracy was sub-MOA, 5 shots measured out at .43 at 100 yards with factory Hornaday 110 SST ammo and that's with my sorry butt on the bench. It was still sub MOA at 200 yards.

6.8 SPC II also does very well from short barrels which is my next project, an 11.3" barrel. Is 6.8 SPC Optimum? No, but it easily fills the void between 5.56 and 7.62 in an AR pattern rifle. That being said, I own 5.56 and .300BLK and each has its purpose.
For real on the non expanding bullet wonder what was up with that? Heck I would want a round when I hit his arm it would blow it into. Maybe to be able to shoot through walls and get them???

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

was wondering how that build went.

vooduchikn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For real on the non expanding bullet wonder what was up with that? Heck I would want a round when I hit his arm it would blow it into. Maybe to be able to shoot through walls and get them???
Read up on the Hauge convention for the background on FMj use by the military.

The 5.56 kill factor is fragmentation which starts to dwindle and become unreliable after 200 meters. Especially from a shorter barrel. The M4 has a 14.5" barrel as compared to M-16 variants that go up to 20" barrels.

A lot of these engagement are past 200 meters.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did I ever say it was "optimum"? No, not really. I know of a number of calibers that could do as well or better on deer. The same as on people.

You really think I don't know about physics, biology, wound ballistics and trauma? I assure you, I do, and I guarantee I have enough personal experience to rely on. My question was what makes it less lethal on deer than on humans? We don't have the same kind of speed and endurance a deer has, but we do have opposable thumbs and medical kits.... in fact, given a less-than-optimum shot placement, I'd put the odds on a human's long-term survival over a deer's. Personally. Given modern medical science.

Deer aren't some kind of mythical unstoppable beasts without landing a massive 300-grain bullet directly in the center bullseye.

I'll stand by it - there is nothing inherently MORE deadly about ANY cartridge to humans than it is to deer. They are flesh and blood and lungs and hearts and livers, just like we are. Get over it. They aren't dangerous or hard-to-kill game.
You're shooting all the way around the bullseye.

It's not simply a matter of killing; I want enough stopping power so that I don't have to track him for a mile. Ideally, I'd have dead-right-there performance, and an expanding .223 with an optimum shot will probably do that. When variables start to come into play, though, that shot may not have optimum placement when it arrives on target. It's the same reason I carry a .45-70 when I chase hogs: if I have one make a charge at me, I want something that will shatter bones and pin him where he stands RFN. A different reason for wanting the stopping power, but it's the same principle.

I recall reading a story of an Inuit who took a moose with a .22 WMR. Just because it can be done, though, doesn't mean I don't want to stack the deck a little more in my favor.

Latest posts

Top Bottom