681 Project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey SPD,
You can add the barrel pins too can't you?

Do you think the pinned barrels are stronger than the unpinned? It just makes more sense they are to me. I kinda felt they cheapened the guns when they went to unpinned.
My OPINION- I don't believe the pinning makes the barrel stronger. This is one of the sources of endless debate. From an engineering standpoint, it would make sense that drilling the frame and barrel would structurally weaken it, however when a S&W frame fails, it usually fails along the top strap due to squib loads/home brew super hot mega-magnum-rocket-fuel-double-charge-handloads and flame cutting. I can add the barrel pin, but it's not necessary, especially with the S&W revolver barrel clocking issue that is prevalent. Pinning the barrel makes it harder to clock the barrel.

Quality control has greatly diminished over the years across all manufacturers due to attempts to lower manufacturing costs. Just take a S&W made in the '50's and set it near a current production gun. I won't own a 2001 or later S&W revolver with a lock unless I absolutely can't find or they don't make the model I'm looking for.

Last edited:

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It does look nice. Please don't take what I said earlier as criticism; I didn't intend it like that. I love both my 681 and my 686.

Latest posts

Top Bottom