7 saudi/pakis arrested for trespassing at water reservoir for boston.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cavagan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's plausible, but not very possible. There have been a number of studies on the topic, especially since 9/11. See this paper for reference and a quick summation.

The filtration, purification, and safeguards in place for most large population center's water supply would prevent most contaminates from ever making it to the public at large. Not to mention the sheer logistical implications.... Think about how many thousands of gallons of contaminate would have to be added to a reservoir to make the water consumed at the end of the supply chain potent....

It's just not a likely scenario. I'd be inclined to worry about more imminent and plausible threats.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been subjected to hazmat training yearly for quite awhile, the former instructor is very knowledgable, and now works for DHS. His most likely terror scenario involved chemicals/biohazards in crowded events. (ball games, concerts, etc..)

He always showed us an overhead map of Tulsa and possibilities. It'd be a lot easier than explosives, guns, and all that, plus it'd be hard to detect/prevent.

The trainer is not a paranoid type dude, but seeing him illustrate the possibilities will make you think.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's plausible, but not very possible. There have been a number of studies on the topic, especially since 9/11. See this paper for reference and a quick summation.

The filtration, purification, and safeguards in place for most large population center's water supply would prevent most contaminates from ever making it to the public at large. Not to mention the sheer logistical implications.... Think about how many thousands of gallons of contaminate would have to be added to a reservoir to make the water consumed at the end of the supply chain potent....

It's just not a likely scenario. I'd be inclined to worry about more imminent and plausible threats.

I believe you are correct. All water in public systems goes through a chlorination process. This should eliminate any disease organisms and possibly many poisons. In addition, as you state, an impractically large amount of most poisons would need to be added to a reservoir in order to achieve a high enough concentration to sicken people.

To the best of my knowledge little or no testing for toxic substances is done at water treatment plants, but for the above reasons this is no cause for concern.

Spata

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe you are correct. All water in public systems goes through a chlorination process. This should eliminate any disease organisms and possibly many poisons. In addition, as you state, an impractically large amount of most poisons would need to be added to a reservoir in order to achieve a high enough concentration to sicken people.

To the best of my knowledge little or no testing for toxic substances is done at water treatment plants, but for the above reasons this is no cause for concern.

They don't need to successfully poison anyone for their plan to work. They just need it to be detected and blamed on terrorism. Imagine the panic that would ensue if everyone thought they had been poisoned.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They don't need to successfully poison anyone for their plan to work. They just need it to be detected and blamed on terrorism. Imagine the panic that would ensue if everyone thought they had been poisoned.

Theoretically I get your point. But I believe it would be easier and more effective to do some product tampering in stores or in a food or drink manufacturing facility.

As for this story, it sounds unlikely that there was any intended terrorism. Singapore is far from a hotbed of terrorist activity. In addition, you would not want a dozen or more people scouting out the site - that makes it too easy to be detected.

I do think people need to be vigilant for things like this.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think you would need thousands of gallons. Just the right stuff.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that a teaspoon of nicotine would be enough to take out 100,000 people.

Dave

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think you would need thousands of gallons. Just the right stuff.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that a teaspoon of nicotine would be enough to take out 100,000 people.

Dave

I think you would. The Quabbin holds 100's of billions of gallons of water. Something like 400+ billion when full.

I'm no chemist, but I'd like to see the amount each substance you would have to add in order to bring the PPM up to toxic levels and keep it up after treatment. I bet it's a lot.

If they were up to no good, they were either scoping out the pipeline/pump stations for sabotage or simply hooking up for some paki-saudi man love. People tresspass for all kinds of stupid stuff...being from the middle east doesn't relieve them of that normal stupidity.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I forget the chemical or bio weapon Saddam was supposed to have so much of but if weaponized, what was tons of it could be carried in a common suitcase according to some reports I read. The reports said Saddam's troops dumped it in the river and it was still detectable weeks later. If this is true it might possibly be enough to poison a water supply.

Latest posts

Top Bottom