8 Gauge Shotgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
A friend of mine said he had seen some 8 bore shells marked industrial and the guy that had them said they were used in the steel industry for clearing out so the steel would flow. I think they also used a large shell like that to cart start old acft radial engines.

Those are for a Kiln gun used to knock all the strew off the inside of the kilns after they've been allowed to cool. No its not fired from the shoulder, and you don't want to try and shoot any through a regular 8 gauge.

Gun Digest 2010 has an artical on a 2 bore single shot rifle. It shoots a 2500gr to 3500gr lead slug from 1950fps to 1250fps for muzzle energy of over 11,000 foot pounds.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a BPS 10 ga Browning pump. Recoil is less than most 3 inch 12 ga guns. Ported, forcing cone lengthened, barrel cut to 25 inches, and rethreaded for choke tubes. Great for geese and cranes.

You can see a four bore double in the movie "tremors." It's the only gun to kill a worm in that little cult favorite. CB

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a BPS 10 ga Browning pump. Recoil is less than most 3 inch 12 ga guns. Ported, forcing cone lengthened, barrel cut to 25 inches, and rethreaded for choke tubes. Great for geese and cranes.

You can see a four bore double in the movie "tremors." It's the only gun to kill a worm in that little cult favorite. CB

I use 10ga for large water fowl too.

As for the movie tremors, also a good place to see a dillon reloading press and tumbler in a movie.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was reading a novel and one of the tough guys mentioned his 8 gauge shotgun. Didn't believe it so I Googled "8 gauge shotgun" and the monster does exsist. Interesting.:thumb:

My brother just younger than me used to hunt with a fellow that had one.
Me I wuss out at 12 ga 3 in mag... ... ...

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
in 1973 i was in college in fayetville AR. there was a pawn shop on hwy 71 that had gobbs of old hammered pumps 12 gauge, and i think single shot 10 and 8 gauge shotguns.

he told me that 8 gauge were used for commercial purposes. a hunter would find ducks on water or a covey of quail, sneak up and shoot while they were grounded. purpose was to get as much meat as possible. it was a commercial enterprise not for hunting.

anyway, the 8 gauge looked huge next to the 12 gauge.

after college i got a job, saved up some money, and went back with the purpose of buying one of those 8 gauges. everything was gone.

the size of the bore really impressed me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom