870 fell apart

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It wouldn't eject the shell so I loosened the nut, maybe I loosened it to much. I've never fired a shotgun before.
That should be tight. YouTube and it will show you how to put it together. I had an 870 do this once, I could bang the side of the receiver and could move the action. Cleaning and lube fixed the problem. Since it's already disassembled :) go ahead and clean it up and lube it and try again.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Unless this is an old Remington Sportsman 58 with the adjustable gas system, that sucker needs to be tight. The sportsman has a Dial-a-matic gas system in which the mag tube nut has an adjuster built into it, there are "H" and "L" positions clearly market.

Since you have an 870, that sucker needs to be tight.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You say brand new??? Was this in box from factory that requires barrel and magazine and slide to be installed after purchase? If so, it was assembled incorrectly by user. If I was close, I could meet with you and give you instruction on proper assembly, removal and installation of plug, and general maintaince of the 870.

Gebrown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You say brand new??? Was this in box from factory that requires barrel and magazine and slide to be installed after purchase? If so, it was assembled incorrectly by user. If I was close, I could meet with you and give you instruction on proper assembly, removal and installation of plug, and general maintaince of the 870.

It was new but I didn't have to put anything together. I thought it would be good to go straight out of the box.

Thanks for the offer to help/teach.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shot my 870 for the first time yesterday. First it wouldn't eject the shell, then it literally fell apart. Anyone else have this happen? What did you do?

It won't eject the shell due to a rough chamber. You need to do this:

take the barrel off and clean it. wrap a few strands of 0000 steel wool around the cleaning brush and put a few drops of oil on it. with this on a short extension, chuck it up in your drill, insert into the breech end of the barrel, and have at it. remember, you're polishing out the machining marks. shouldn't take more than 15 or 20 minutes start to finish.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was new but I didn't have to put anything together. I thought it would be good to go straight out of the box.

Thanks for the offer to help/teach.
I would try to get in touch with someone on here that lives close and is familiar with 870 to run thru it with you. They are not difficult but it never hurts to speed up the learning curve. The bolt and rails are a little tricky to get back in but other than that it is pretty straight foward. Like they said that nut should be tight and there are tons of useful info on YouTube.

Latest posts

Top Bottom