8mm mauser

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like that statement that they did not have much to compare it to so they shut up and marched on!

Me and my brother shot about 600 rds one time in a day to see if we could wear the rifle out. Needless to say, we quite way before the rifle did--and talk about sore!

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like that statement that they did not have much to compare it to so they shut up and marched on!

Me and my brother shot about 600 rds one time in a day to see if we could wear the rifle out. Needless to say, we quite way before the rifle did--and talk about sore!

You talking about that K98 I sold you?

I dont know if you were at a shoot at Lexington one day a few years ago, but I had that K98, 2 garands, a 12ga shotgun, etc....

I shot well over 1000 rounds of ammo through the garands and that K98, and my arm was fubar for a couple months, the next morning I could not move it at the elbow and the shoulder was stiff as a board....was fun though.

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot a sporterized Nazi Mauser, and handload 150grn Hornady Spire points @2700 fps. It knocks pigs and whitetail flat, period. With this load, you still have roughly 1200 ft/lbs of energy at 300 yds. It is more than adequate for anything around here. Shoot me a pm if you want the recipe that I use.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You talking about that K98 I sold you?

I dont know if you were at a shoot at Lexington one day a few years ago, but I had that K98, 2 garands, a 12ga shotgun, etc....

I shot well over 1000 rounds of ammo through the garands and that K98, and my arm was fubar for a couple months, the next morning I could not move it at the elbow and the shoulder was stiff as a board....was fun though.

No this was a different one, but that one I got from you really likes the lighter Turkish ball.

I think I remember that day at the range when you had the hardware!

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Turkish Mauser my bro picked up for $40 from one of the surplus places. I've had it a few years but have not fired it. I found some corrosive surplus ammo for it it and ~almost~ took the thing with me shooting last weekend. If it shoots ok (and I live to tell about it) it may turn out to be a fun gun.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Making 8mm brass from 30-06 is easy. I just size the '06 brass in the 8mm sizing die and then trim it using a lee trimmer/case length guage setup and a drill. I just made another hundred rounds of 8mm brass that way. I normally use the military head stamp stuff so it doesn't say 30-06 on it after I have converted it. Blitzfike

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
AIM surplus just got some hunting ammo in that is reloadable. It is loaded in Serbia so it may be a little hooter than US made ammo but still in the safe range.

croatiansensation

New to the site!
Reaction score
I converted a Turk Mauser and put a scout mount on it. Set up weighs about 7 lbs with a red dot and the barrel is only 18" so I don't load Full up loads, not enough room to burn the powder. I dropped in a dayton transiter trigger adj to 2.5 lbs. 3 round group, 1 MOA with 180 grain NOS BT's handloads as long as I discount the odd flyer due to the scout mount and uneven barrel cooling. She always throws one round high about 4" in a three round string and 100 yds.

Not bad for less than 200 bucks and a little garage gunsmithing.

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Seems to me you can buy new Remington made brass for the 8X57mm from, say, Midway or some of the other reloading suppliers. Might be a "seasonal" item but, hey, its the season! Hard to beat a large ring Mauser '98. I like the ones made before 1938 or'39, no war time pressure to get rifles in the hands of troops. 8X57mm = formidable round , it will do about anything a .30-06 will. Need to hand load for best performance as there are many Mauser '93's & '95's out there, American commercial ammo is down loaded out of respect for the earlier model rifles, they might be made of the same material as a '98 but lack the design features the '98 has.

Latest posts

Top Bottom