8mm mauser

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Am I limited to just one?!:thumbup3:

No Sir!!!! I have three, one original K98 1939, an M48, and a 1923 custom in 7X57. The 1939 is a proverbial tack driver, pretty much if I can see it, I just might be able to hit it. The M48 is a good 300yd gun, and the little 1923 is set up as a brush rifle.

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Love them '98s. Got a pretty fair collection myself. There are so many variations made all over the world it would be hard to get one of each. I even spotted one on the evening news carried by an Afgani! The '98 Mauser, Brno, DWM, Oberndorf, FN, are my choice when it comes to custom rifles. A guy just can't hardly go wrong with a '98.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Love them '98s. Got a pretty fair collection myself. There are so many variations made all over the world it would be hard to get one of each. I even spotted one on the evening news carried by an Afgani! The '98 Mauser, Brno, DWM, Oberndorf, FN, are my choice when it comes to custom rifles. A guy just can't hardly go wrong with a '98.

You would cry at all the ones we had to blowup over in Iraq. There were eight photos I couldn't bring myself to take for all the captured weapons we had to destroy.

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
There ya' go. '98 Mauser in 8x57mm still being used, for its original intention (as a military rifle) ,all around the world. I'd say that pretty much sums up the question. As just a foot note, the Mauser '98 has been and will be, at least for a while yet, the basis of many custom rifles.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
There ya' go. '98 Mauser in 8x57mm still being used, for its original intention (as a military rifle) ,all around the world. I'd say that pretty much sums up the question. As just a foot note, the Mauser '98 has been and will be, at least for a while yet, the basis of many custom rifles.

If copying something is a form of flattery, you have to look no further than the 1903, and all its changes. I have a 1903A3SC thats super slick!

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If copying something is a form of flattery, you have to look no further than the 1903, and all its changes. I have a 1903A3SC thats super slick!

How right you are! Every turn bolt rifle made today incorporates features from the Mauser. I've one of those type writer rifles myself, used it in a few CMP matches, very acccurate as long as I do my part. Easy 2" groups at 100' from prone using my 175g. Match King hand loads.

RangeHound

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The K98 is a blast to shoot. Everyone is correct that it kicks as bad as anything I have shot. I am a whimp and got a shoulder pad to wear when I shoot it. I load up up 195gr Hornady with Varget which gives me the most accurate round. My K98 does not really like 150gr.

I will shoot 25 rounds through my K98, then pick up my Garand and it feels like I am shooting a .22. It's interesting comparing the technologies and understanding why we won the ground war. I would much rather have humped a Garand around and shoot it than a K98.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great round capable of just about anything you ask around here. I had a buddy that hunted with one for years. He still brings it out occassionally. That old thing knocked down every critter he poked with it. Plus there are lots of brass for the reloader. Or as stated you can make your own. Milsurps are often over looked. But the truth of the matter is they are great guns and most can be had relatively ecconomically.

Sniper John

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sold mine because I could not stand the kick, It just was not fun to shoot, never took it hunting because I cannot be accurate if I am anticipating the painful kickback.

I have a fairly large collection of various ones. I have not shot them in a while, but when I was, I was pulling the bullets from surplus ammo, reloading with the original powder, but a lighter load. It was giving me a more accurate round that was a pleasure to shoot. It takes minimal reloading equipment to do so. It was the seed that got me started in reloading. But that is always an option if one has one of these rifles and just wants to enjoy shooting it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom