9/11/01 Where were you when you heard or saw the attack?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1fast8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had driven to springfeild that morning to buy some equiptment and had turned radio off to make phone calls. then on the way home i stopped at a hardware store they had radio on the loud speaker i was thinking was this a hoax like orson wells or something and how could someone attack our pentagon. to say the least was weird and kinda scary when i didnt know what was going on and just hearing scattered reports on a loud speaker in a store

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was in the Army stationed at Fort Sill. I was leaving that morning for a short TDY at Shepard AFB and saw the news about the first plane just as I was leaving. I heard about the second plane on the radio on the way. As I was pulling up at the gate to the AFB security was noticeably increased. Got to where I was going and watched the towers fall on TV and the aftermath. My TDY was cancelled and I drove back to Ft Sill and they had closed the post. It took me a couple hours of sitting in line to get through. Prior to that Ft Sill was open - anyone could just drive on with no security check or anything. I lived on post and did not leave due for probably two weeks due the hassle of getting back on post.

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I was a freshman in college at a 2 year school in KS, sitting in psychology class. I think we had a test that morning, so the professor was in and out of class. He came in and told us about the first plane, and like everyone else, I assumed it was just a small one. When they said, no, it was an airliner, I knew that was significant. We had a refinery in town and all that day, there were fighters flying CAP overhead.

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I was an 8th grader in Union.

someone started spreading the news from classroom to classroom about the middle to end of second period. and for the rest of the day we were all glued to the t.v in every classroom. the bells would ring and class sessions change, we all rushed to our next class to fix our eyes back on the news casts. a considerable number of kids did not return to class the rest of the week after it became more apparent that it was a terrorist campaign. it just didn't feel real; i guess we all just thought we were invincible and that everything was fine. the rest of the week classes were more or less postponed as we watched coverage, and talked about it all.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was a sophmore in highschool outside for marching band practice. I didnt find out til 2nd hour when i seen the towers in flames on TV and i honestly thougt it was a movie....then i was told it was no movie. Very sad day indeed,i heard that walmart in claremore sold out of tv's and guns that day.

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Working at Blumenthals Transmission next to downtown OKC. Heard it on the radio, kept watching the sky and downtown building the rest of the day and watched the coverage when I got home that eve.

steelhorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was in a supervisors meeting when the superintendent informed us. He was always crackin jokes, but the look on his face that morning I'll never forget. There was so many mixed feelings that day including sadness, anger etc. It's amazing how America stood so United that day and many days after. I feel that many people have forgotten and we need to get back to that togetherness and stand United once more.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I walked into 2nd hour shop class in ninth grade and it was on TV. Nothing got done for the rest of the day. Every eye in that school was glued to the screen.

Latest posts

Top Bottom