9/11/01 Where were you when you heard or saw the attack?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlammerG_89

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My 6th grade teacher always watched the news before school so when we came in to class right after morning bell is when it all happened. We sat and watched the whole thing on tv from the initial reports all the way through. Living in ponca everyone was afraid thinking conoco was next and i remember after school me and my friend were playing catch and a big jet flew really low over my house and about made me crap myself. I also remember the nightmares i had for the longest time afterwards and how America changed that day. I also remember My dad and a bunch of other firemen going to NYC to help out and bring assistance in any way possible.

natgas

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was in my office in Houston going about our normal daily routine which included live A/V feeds from our parent company on the top 3 floors in Tower 1; watching everything that was happening and having to listen to those employees who were trapped was terrible. We had A/V for a while until everything was cut off. Having so many friends and co-workers who were in agony was a gut-wrenching experience.

Needlesstosay it was a terrible day and weeks following as we consoled parents, wives, husbands of those we lost that day. In all, almost 1100 people of Canter-Fitzgerald lost their lives, many of whom were considered friends. I had just been to Tower 1 2 weeks prior to the attack on my normal monthly visit to corporate.

Other than dozens of memorial services I attended over the next few weeks, I have not returned to the site but plan to in the next couple of years.

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i was in first grade at Roy Clark Elementary.on the way to school they were talking about it on the radio and my mom was shocked.i thought it was a small building in Tulsa and a plane had dove into it from the top.i don't remember this part but my sister tells me that they had a prayer on the school intercom as it was happening.got home and my parents were watching the news and i was terrified at the sight of large walls of dust engulfing people.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Stationed at the White House Communications Agency...heard the Pentagon got hit and went up on the roof of our HQ and saw the smoke rising. Knew things were going to be different for a long time.

Remember seeing one jet, that had just taken off from Reagan National, taking odd turns in the sky and wondering if it was another one looking for a target...turns out he was just trying to figure out how to turn around and land.

My wife had previously worked at the Pentagon, and her coworkers had just moved into the section that got hit...thankfully she was safe at home with our newborn baby boy and all of her coworkers were in their old office packing up loose ends.

RIP to the fallen.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was driving to Little Rock on I-40. The news started filtering in, first it was just a "plane", then more and more came out. I stopped in Russelville at a gas station and watched the towers collapse. I continued to Little Rock not really understanding the extent of what was coming. I was scheduled to be there for several days. I got there and needed gas, that was my first issue, the panic had set in and it took me awhile to fill up. Then I needed some things I forgot and Wal*Mart was an absolute zoo, people were buying just about anything, "just in case", everyone had a gas can in their hands it seemed. Fortunately things settled down in a couple of days and I was able to make my way home.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was getting ready to leave the office to do some field work when a coworker said he'd heard on the radio a plane had hit the first tower. We all thought it was a small plane accident, and we left town to do our work. We didn't have access to a radio or TV all day, but when we were driving back to Tulsa, we heard on the truck's radio about the two planes and the towers collapsing. Once back at the office, we watched the tragedy on the conference room TV.

At that time, I was dating a woman from Dallas, and she'd fly up to Tulsa once a month for a long weekend. Tulsa's airport had minimal security - I could accompany my g/f right up to the gate and watch her go down the tunnel to the plane's door. Not any more.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was driving to work (Bob Moore) and was just getting onto the I-35 N -> I-44 W interchange when I heard that a plane hit one of the towers. I listened for a few seconds and at that time they were thinking it was just a freak accident. So I listened to a cd the rest of the way to work. I get to work, I clock in, I get my shizz ready for the day and I hear "ANOTHER ONE HIT THE SECOND TOWER!" and that's when it was obvious (at least to me, away from a tv or radio) that this wasn't an accident.

Not much work got done that day, the small break room in the shop was pretty crowded. People were pretty quiet, versus the usual smack-talking and excessive cussing that went on there.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I had just got home from a double at the Sheriff's dept. Got a call from a friend to turn on the TV, the first tower was burning, and the second hit, my beeper went off, I called an was told to get back to work, worked another shift an a half till released.

RIP for the fallen!!!

I called the next day to see if I could go back on active duty, was placed on a list, never got called.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember it like yesterday. I was laid up with a broken back. I was watching CNN, because they were showing a live chase. The police had been chasing a guy for about an hour when they broke in and said that a small prop plane had run into one of the towers. Then everything went down hill from there. I had my son stick a VHS tape in and I started recording. I remember my stomach turning, and feeling hurt and pissed. It sucked because I could not get up. I have still not watched the tape I recorded. I will never forget September 11. The worst part is that September 11th is also my wedding anniversary. Now it feels odd to go and celebrate on 9-11.

Latest posts

Top Bottom