9MM bullet weight for CC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RollingRock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good question jmike314, along with the 55 grain are some Sinterfire Reduced Hazard V-Force 90 Grain, 80gr. Barnes TAC-XP Lead Free, Winchester 9mm 100 Grain JHP + other 80-90-100 grain....any feeback on those low grain rounds?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good question jmike314, along with the 55 grain are some Sinterfire Reduced Hazard V-Force 90 Grain, 80gr. Barnes TAC-XP Lead Free, Winchester 9mm 100 Grain JHP + other 80-90-100 grain....any feeback on those low grain rounds?

Are you asking whether anyone has shot someone with any of these boutique rounds? I seriously doubt it. Are you asking whether any independent testing using full featured parameters have been conducted on these rounds? Not likely. FWIW, the FBI issues Speer 147gr Gold Dot ammo. The FBI has been known to conduct some of the most thorough comparison testing done. The only way a bullet undergoes more severe test protocols is when an independent, large scale manufacturer develops some of the newer, better quality rounds. Now why do you think the FBI went heavy?

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I CC with Winchester 147 JHP. I keep boxes of Corbon 125 JHP as well as some other brands in 125 JHP at home, I just prefer to carry with the heavier 147. I try to shoot a little bit of all of it at the range, some 147 and 125 in JHP along with the 115 in FMJ I plink with, but I have never personally shot anyone and asked them if they preferred I had shot them with 125 instead of the 147. So I really have no data to go on why I carry with the 147, I just do.

Last edited:

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Expansion wise, 147 gr. federal hst+p are my top pick, as well as what I carry. Check out some YouTube vids on ballistic tests, they generally perform the best. If you can't find them for sale, grab some 147 gr gold dots, they don't expand as well, but generally penetrate better because of it.
As others have said, make sure you can shoot +p ammo. Which unless you're shooting a highpoint, you're fine.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll second the 147 gr HSTs, mine are not +P, however. I carry them in my CZ 75c, Sig SP2022 and Glock 17. Great round.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom