A elderly buddy of mine gave me a rifle today..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
His name is Gene, I have known him for going on 30 years. He is in his early 80s.

Yesterday were talking about few things, among the topic was life and getting older.

Today he stops by and said I have something for you.

I asked what is it?

He said well I have this old rifle, it is a single shot .22, I have had for years and I want you to have it.

I was stunned to say th least, but said OK, no way I would even think of hurting his feelings on the matter or even offending him by refusing the gift.

We walked out to his truck, while doing so I noticed how time has taken its toll on my friend.

He reached into his truck and pulled out a old Remington rifle. The blueing has changed to that soft bronze aged finish that old rifles get. The wood is walnut, with a dark age to it and has that oil soaked look old wood has to it.

It is a Remington model 41 Targetmaster, made between 1936 and 1939, one of 307,000 total made. The bore is bright, no pitting, action is sweet and trigger is smooth and let off at about 3lbs. It has not been screwed with, sights are open.

As he handed me the rifle and box of ammo, he said Rich, you are a great friend and I cant think of any man more deserving of this rifle. I freely admit my eyes watered, damn allergies, I shook his hand and said Thank you, it was all I could say.

I am honored to have this rifle.

Thank Gene...

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Made for a good day didn't it?

You like most of aren't nice to people hoping to get something in return, but when it happens it's nice.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That was almost the same exact way I got my Savage single shoot from my Grandfather. He had told me years ago I could have it. Then after his passing I asked my uncle if I could have it, he wasnt sure if I should though as he thought there was something wrong with it.

I had to tell him at that point I was a pretty avid gun person and was pretty versed in taking them apart and fixing them.

Got the rifle, brought it home. Other than giving it a good cleaning and checking the bore it fired the first round with no issues. I called and told me Uncle and he was surprised, then I explained to him rimfire ammo and that it is not all uncommon for them to not fire.

Same story though, made in the 1930's for about $3 or so new. So old it doesnt even have a serial number.

I had some links to a place that had some of the factory parts, I would love to replace some of the missing items on mine one of these days.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
His name is Gene, I have known him for going on 30 years. He is in his early 80s.

Yesterday were talking about few things, among the topic was life and getting older.

Today he stops by and said I have something for you.

I asked what is it?

He said well I have this old rifle, it is a single shot .22, I have had for years and I want you to have it.

I was stunned to say th least, but said OK, no way I would even think of hurting his feelings on the matter or even offending him by refusing the gift.

We walked out to his truck, while doing so I noticed how time has taken its toll on my friend.

He reached into his truck and pulled out a old Remington rifle. The blueing has changed to that soft bronze aged finish that old rifles get. The wood is walnut, with a dark age to it and has that oil soaked look old wood has to it.

It is a Remington model 41 Targetmaster, made between 1936 and 1939, one of 307,000 total made. The bore is bright, no pitting, action is sweet and trigger is smooth and let off at about 3lbs. It has not been screwed with, sights are open.

As he handed me the rifle and box of ammo, he said Rich, you are a great friend and I cant think of any man more deserving of this rifle. I freely admit my eyes watered, damn allergies, I shook his hand and said Thank you, it was all I could say.

I am honored to have this rifle.

Thank Gene...

Well beyond the value of the rifle is the knowledge that you will think of him when you handle it. I'm sure he just wanted you to enjoy it, but with it comes a way to remember him well beyond his inevitable passing.

To recieve a fine rifle under such circumstances is a fantastic experience. I hope many years from now you'll consider doing the same.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well beyond the value of the rifle is the knowledge that you will think of him when you handle it. I'm sure he just wanted you to enjoy it, but with it comes a way to remember him well beyond his inevitable passing.

To recieve a fine rifle under such circumstances is a fantastic experience. I hope many years from now you'll consider doing the same.

+1000

Great story and hopefully you will pay if forward when you're ready. I've thought about selling a gun here and there but always come to the conclusion, I would get more satisfaction in giving it to one of my brothers, children (if my wife and I ever decide to have any) or to a close friend.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If anybody here has ever met Rich, then you know as well as I do that he most definitely IS very much deserving of that rifle. Gene was right. Rich is a great friend.

I've got those damned alergies too, Rich. :cry3:

Latest posts

Top Bottom